2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Very reliable hybrid to 248K m

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Very reliable hybrid to 248K miles
By jadziasman on

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Final update:

Decided to sell the Prius instead of investing in a new or rebuilt HV pack. Bought a used 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage from Hertz Car Sales instead.
Made this decision because I did not drive the Prius regularly anymore and I was fairly sure that I would have had to replace the HV
battery fairly soon. Overall, I was satisfied with the Prius but was disappointed that replacement HV batteries were not more reasonably
priced which I had hoped they would have been. I probably will not buy another hybrid for this reason.

Update:
The old girl is showing her age.
Noticed rust at the bottom of the front doors which can only
mean it will be getting worse soon.

Using about a quart every 2000 miles now. That's not good.

MPG has dropped to the low 40s in mild weather which indicates the HV battery is
getting tired and may fail soon - don't know if I want to replace it or not when it does.

Second owner. Extremely reliable.
Driven for 82K miles, Has 217K miles now.
Package 6 nearly all available options installed.
Except for three necessary repairs (HID headlight leveling sensor, HV inverter electric water pump, and gasoline engine water pump) no mechanical problems.
Uses a quart of oil every 3000 miles or less depending on average speed driven.
Traction battery still works.
Every light, switch, sensor, etc still function.
Original brakes and suspension.
Fuel tank capacity varies considerably with ambient temp.
Only holds about 8 gallons when temp is less than 20 deg F and holds about 11 gallons when temp is over
80 deg F.
Road noise an issue on concrete hwys.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By jadziasman
on 01/24/15 06:19 AM (PST)

Well, another five months and 6000 miles has gone by. Nothing has failed. Getting same mpg as have been the past four years. Am planning to replace spark plugs and THE transaxle fluid this spring. Maybe new tires all around too. THIS HAS BEEN A VERY RELIABLE CAR THAT ALSO HAPPENS TO BE A HYBRID!!!!!

By jadziasman
on 03/05/16 09:40 AM (PST)

The car is 11 years old as of this month. Just passed 247K miles. This car is the Energizer bunny - it just keeps going and going and ...... No repairs in the past 14 months. New tires installed before this winter. My daughter drives it now. There's an excellent chance that it will still be running great when she gives it back to me after she completes her university studies a few years from now. Easily the best car I've ever owned.

By jadziasman
on 11/09/15 17:14 PM (PST)

Five years owned and 108K miles driven. Replaced left front wheel bearing/hub in Sept 2015. Four new tires August 2015. No other issues. Has 243K miles now which is 26K miles more than my initial review over a 18 months ago.

By jadziasman
on 07/01/15 16:05 PM (PDT)

Driven this Prius for over 100K miles so far. Has 236,500 miles. Haven't replaced anything since my last update (except two oil changes). Amazing vehicle. Will need new tires before winter.

By jadziasman
on 08/13/14 12:02 PM (PDT)

As the writer of this review, I find it fascinating that someone (in this case, fourteen someones so far) would not find my review helpful. Everything I wrote about my car is true. The car now has 224K miles and since my review 5 months ago, the only thing that is not working is the brake light for the parking brake pedal. It no longer functions because the switch fell off the pedal assembly because it self loosened. Too much of a hassle to repair so I just closed the switch with a zip tie so that the light does not come on anymore except during start up. Other than that, it's perfect. To the 14 - why wasn't my review helpful?

By jea333
on 09/18/14 07:49 AM (PDT)

Hey I liked your review!!...I have a used 2005 Prius in my area with 216K miles and was wondering if there are any hints regarding what to look for specifically with this many miles?