Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 613 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (613 reviews )

No better technology out there.
By DDG

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned a 2005 for only a month. I am still amazed at the technology that Toyota has designed into this car. It's also fun to drive. My second car is a convertible sports car, and I must say that most often, it's difficult deciding which one to take out.

Navigation control system, near heads up display for speedometer.

More adjustments on the drivers seat or telescoping steering wheel.

About as good as it gets
By jimmyn

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We traded in our 2003 Element for something with better mileage and a better ride. Lucky we got it right before the last round of gas price hikes. I like sitting in traffic with the engine off, it is nice to know that we are not wasting any fuel then. I am happy overall, of course I wish there was more power, but I know the trade off would be worse mileage. I can live with it. It is comfortable for 4 adults, and everyone who has riden in it has remarked how nice it is and how "cool" it looks inside. Over the past couple of fill ups we have gotten 44.6 and 49.5 MPG with about 50/50 city/ highway driving. Much better than the 20-22 we got out of the Element. Happy with it so far.

Gas mileage, of course. EASY to change oil on. Nice to see a modern car that you don't have to half disasemble to get at the oil filter. I like the climate control system and the steering wheel mounted controls.

Make more of them so more people can buy them. Hopefully the next generation Prius could be a hydrogen/ hybrid. I know it would be expensive beyond belief, but it wouldn't hurt to have it available.

Can't get enough of it
By omigosh

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Acceleration is thrilling. 300 ft/lbs of torque from the electric motor (added to the engine power) is available immediately - not like the 'wind it up 'til it screams and then it finally moves out' with just an engine. When moving slowly, on electric only, it's so quiet I end up sneaking up behind pedestrians - they never hear a thing. Driving downhill in the mountains, beside a mountain stream, we could hear the water babbling. Very nice! The DVD navigation is just like having a 'local' in the back seat, giving directions. Some buildings are labeled, mostly shopping centers, schools, gov't buildings, etc. I drive 75mph to work, get 50MPG. In stop & go, 60MPG. A total delight to drive.

DVD Nav, acceleration, auto-level headlamps, clean dash, giant gloveboxes. Added $45 kit for electric- only vehicle when under 35mph and gentle acceleration. Shifts immediately to hybrid if needed (standard in Japan/Europe). I've put 12,000 miles on it in less than 4 months. Wanna go for a ride?

Shrink the gearshift lever, or let it flip upward - I've bumped my knee on it a few times (I'm 6'2") Frankly, I can't think of anything else I would change.

1 complaint
By JMo

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love everything about this car but 1 thing. Everything scratches / stains really easily. My pin strip is pealing off a little but toyota will fix it for free. I have a couple scratches in my glove box already and the floor mats soak up dirt like no tomorrow. I can over look it though because other than that it is completely outstanding!

All the automation, smart key system, my keys never come out of my pocket!!!

materials should be a more resistant to stains & scratches.

I love my Prius
By TeresaP

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drove a Tahoe before purchasing my prius. At the recommendations of my father I looked at the prius & ended up ordering one. My Tahoe sold to the first person that looked at it which put me in a bind for transportation when I still had 2 months to go before it was to come in - it ended up coming in sooner and it has amazed me how much I like my prius - even more now that gas locally has risen to $2.69/gallon. I admit I miss my Tahoe but I don't miss close to $80/week in gas to get to work. The prius is a definate learning experience in changing the way you drive. The more miles I drive the better gas mileage I seem to get. I love my prius + savings on gas and state/fed taxes!!!

Keyless entry & driving - it has spoiled me to be able to walk up to my vehicle & start it without a key. I have the worst time driving any other vehicle when I have to use a key !!

Steering wheel needs to be a telescoping steering wheel-I hate to sit close but on longer trip it is not comfortable to drive with arm totally extended. Vent for the batteries on passenger side back seat needs moved-on long trips children use pillows to lean on & they cannot cover this vent.