Used 2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 611 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (611 reviews )

LoveThisCar
By Bev

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My drive to work is 10 miles - half highway, half city and I have never gotten less then 50mpg. First long trip is 3 weeks off and can't wait to use the cruise control.

Amazing interior space - actually got 10' boards insde with no problem.

The beige interior is tough to keep clean

2005 Toyota Prius
By wayneswhirld

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle has exceeded my expectations. Fuel economy is better than I expected (52-54 MPG) considering driving in an often hilly terrain. Quiet and smooth ride. Love the tech innovations. The Consumption display has changed how I drive. In a world where we are faced with issues of pollution and global warming, and reliance on fossil fuels and the related political implications of oil influencing our foreign policy, this car is a great alternative for a better world. Therefore, to me it is so worth spending thousands more for a company like Toyota to reward them for all the developmental costs they put into hybrid technology.

Sophisticated display for consumption and energy information. ICE engine stopping at traffic lights, etc. Interior and exterior design.

Perhaps an optional bank of batteries to allow for plugging in to significantly increase mileage toward triple digits.

Unbelieveable
By Comm MD

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had 17 vehicles so far at the age of 28. From 1967 to 2004 and chevy to toyota this car is quite impressive. At first you may be taken by the overall exterior design, but once you get in this car everything changes. Its like a computer on wheels and has every accessory you'll ever need. The interactive display is amazing with the navigation and integrated phone system. Plus the added bonus of seeing what engine is running and what MPG your getting at any specific point in time while your driving. Its interesting to know that your gas engine is off whenever your coasting, braking, or in stop and go traffic. You have got to test drive this car to get the feel of it.I guarantee you'll buy

navigation, interactive display, keyless entry and operation (leaves keys in your pocket with smart key system) digital dash speedometer, ride quality, gas mileage, reliability rating, interior room (classified as a midsize car)

Exterior design, make rear window one complete window and not two, better sound system(even upgraded system isnt that great)

No better technology out there.
By DDG

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned a 2005 for only a month. I am still amazed at the technology that Toyota has designed into this car. It's also fun to drive. My second car is a convertible sports car, and I must say that most often, it's difficult deciding which one to take out.

Navigation control system, near heads up display for speedometer.

More adjustments on the drivers seat or telescoping steering wheel.

About as good as it gets
By jimmyn

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We traded in our 2003 Element for something with better mileage and a better ride. Lucky we got it right before the last round of gas price hikes. I like sitting in traffic with the engine off, it is nice to know that we are not wasting any fuel then. I am happy overall, of course I wish there was more power, but I know the trade off would be worse mileage. I can live with it. It is comfortable for 4 adults, and everyone who has riden in it has remarked how nice it is and how "cool" it looks inside. Over the past couple of fill ups we have gotten 44.6 and 49.5 MPG with about 50/50 city/ highway driving. Much better than the 20-22 we got out of the Element. Happy with it so far.

Gas mileage, of course. EASY to change oil on. Nice to see a modern car that you don't have to half disasemble to get at the oil filter. I like the climate control system and the steering wheel mounted controls.

Make more of them so more people can buy them. Hopefully the next generation Prius could be a hydrogen/ hybrid. I know it would be expensive beyond belief, but it wouldn't hurt to have it available.