Used 2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 611 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (611 reviews )

Prius Review
By Sara

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is easy and fun to drive. It has great pickup - as good as my previous 4 cylinder 21 mpg car used to get. It is quiet and roomy. I still can't believe that so much is fit into such a compact package! It's fun having people stop me and ask me about the car since people are fascinated by how quiet it is. That really captures people's attention. Stated gas mileage is exaggerated compared to real life. In high traffic areas when you have to stop and go a lot, you will not get good city mileage - hwy will be better. I get 42 city, 48 hwy.

I love the steering wheel with all of its buttons as well as the digital display. For a car this size it has great storage capacity! Lots of hidden nooks and crannies. Excellent dashboard storage.

Hard to clean interior hard surfaces. Fingerprints show easily and they are hard to remove.

My permanent car
By Howie

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second Prius. If anything, it's better than my '01. I've added leather interior and MX radio, because I think this is the last car I'll ever have to buy. I can't imagine a vehicle more perfect for me. The only other accessory it could use is a rooftop solar voltaic panel to charge the battery while I drive or when it's parked. I'm working on that one.

Voice command, GPS, ability to operate at low speed on battery alone. Honda's hybrids can't do that. Performance is very good, even with 5 people on board. The gas mileage is phenominal, even though my mileage does not even resemble the advertised numbers. I get about 55 mpg highway and 51 city.

A rooftop solar panel would be really nice and could boost the gas mileage 2- 4 mpg. As I said earlier, I'm working on that.

Don't believe mileage claims
By Herb

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had the Prius for a month. I love it except for two things. I am 6 foot 3 and it is hard to get into the vehicle because the steering wheel does not tilt up high enough. Once inside it is fine. To get 60 mpg you would have to fill up at the top of a mountain and then fill up again when you got to the bottom... there is no way. I am a very conservative driver and I am consistently getting 40 - 43 mpg. That is twice what I got in my previous vehicle but it is not what was advertised.

Keyless entry and starting, roominess.

Do something to the tilt wheel so it will at least come up one more notch. Don't advertise 60/51 mpg when no one is able to come close to that.

Great Car/Poor Interior Cloth Choice
By Scott Bui

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is definitely the best car I have ever driven in my life. This is an extremely fun to drive, quiet, head- turner. We live in the hills in the suburbs of Los Angeles and get about 43-45 MPG with the A/C on and around 48-50 MPG without the A/C. Trunk space is amazing with the 60/40 split from the back seats. I'm probably the only one in the U.S. using the Prius to pick up CARGO SHIPMENTS. Normally pick up around CARGO boxes (up to 8 boxes 400 lbs) from LAX to my office.

Voice Activation, GPS System, Trunk Space, Fuel Economy, Low-Noise Pollution and partial-zero emission!

This car's interior composition is horrible!! Made of a soft comfrtable suede but EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO CLEAN!! The plastic pieces tend to scratch very EASILY!! I love this car so much I clean it almost every day and yet it gets dirty so easy!!!

Like it!
By Dana

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a vehicle that is a surprise to all those who see it the first time. Then they sit in it and "wow" sets in. And, finally a ride that is quiet, smooth and comfortable has them sold on buying one - except, I'm not a salesman and don't have any to sell. But if I did, I could be a millionaire now.

Move wiper lever further away from wheel, it is sometime tripped while reaching for the power button.