Used 2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 611 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (611 reviews )

Question on Electronics
By Becky

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Yesterday, I hit the wrong button, pushed Power instead of Park. This morning, it took three tries to get started, and any time I park on a slant, it really doesn't want to start. It's my fault, but the dealer can't find anything wrong with the electronics. Other than that, it's been wonderful to drive and I do a lot of that!

Guages under the dash where the sun doesn't wash them out.

Would like a little bit better sound package in terms of road noise.

BEST CAR I EVER OWNED
By Russ

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What can I say? This is absolutely the best car I have ever owned. After 78000+ miles we will be trading for a new 2010 next week. The trade in value makes it possible to get a new model for almost half price. We have enjoyed many trips in our Prius and had fun playing with beating our mileage. Our best was 610 miles on one tank full. (about 11 gal as we still had some left). I never new how much cargo a hatch back could hold until we loaded up our Prius, because of the ability to lay the seats flat, I can haul almost as much as my other car an SUV.

Cargo capacity, safety features, stealth mode driving.

Plusher interior options. More models.

The perfect car
By Dave

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. I've gone 150K miles and it's still brand new; original tires being the only problem so far. I paid it off last year so, normally, I'd buy a new car. But I'd only get another Prius, so why? My only worry is the battery. It's covered to 150K; but nobody seems to know how long it will last. So far I've replace nothing! And the brakes are still great! I Love This Car!

Prius running strong
By Pilot

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you can tolerate slow acceleration, the Prius is a great car. In warmer weather mine can get 50+ mpg on a tank of gas after 117,000 miles. I have only replaced a water pump and tires during regular 5K service intervals. I have driven 400 averaging 60 mph and it still gets 43 mpg! The Prius struggles in very hilly areas but if you are patient you can make up for it on the downhill. It even handles well with the set of Michelins that are on it now.

The gas mileage. That is what it does best.

Put a diesel engine in it.

Greatest thing since sliced bread
By Ron

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have 64K miles and have only replaced tires & wiper blades. I average 52 MPG, mostly driven at 50-55 mph. There is a learning curve to getting good MPG. I use the cruise control all the time, even in city driving. It works down to 24 MPH! Consistent speed is the key. The ride and handling is great. Fun car to drive. I'm getting another this year.