Used 2002 Toyota Prius Sedan Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (78 reviews )

Low cost and fun too
By Mike Hahn

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Prius. I will never buy another automobile. I have been in the mountains of West Virginia and North Carolina, and the plains of Illinois and have never had a problem. I just do the oil changes and tires and enjoy the ride. I average 48-55 mpg and have gotten up to 62 mpg in the city. What a feeling!!! Toyota!!!

The Lowest Polluting Car on the Plant
By cwlowry01

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased a Toyota Prius not just because it gets good gas mileage but also because it is one of the lowest polluting production cars available. My MPG varies from 39.6 to 50.1 depending on the traffic conditions and my driving practices. The 50.1 was obtained while driving a steady 60-65 mph for a distance of 1000 miles. Given its size I also find it a surprisingly comfortable car to drive over long distances. I am less tired after driving for 8-10 hours than I have been in a standard size sedan. Also, it has all the creatures comforts you could want. This is especially true of the newer Prius'. One change I did make that improved the ride was to put on a set of 80,000 mile tires.

Low polluting, high MPG, low overall cost to own and operate, safety rating in its size class, smooth ride for its size, build quality.

Better acceleration - this has been improved in the newer models. It would be great if it could come as a plug in model as well. There are retrofits now but I would prefer one built by Toyota because of their reputation for quality. However, they state they do not intend to do this.

Best choice (after the wife)
By Robert Stokes

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I think my Prius was truly the best auto I have purchased.This car has been much better than any talk I have heard. It gets great mileage 48 to 62 regularly, is very easy to drive and handles very well on the highway such as in the back draft of large trucks. I gave my 98 Toyota to my son and park my truck most of the time. I will buy another if this one wears out. The trouble is I like the sedan and all I see now are hatchbacks? Come on Toyota more sedans. I want a trunk. Robert

So easy to handle in tight places and soooo easy on fuel.

As I stated give back the Prius sedan. I do have a gripe with the steering wheel shaking very hard when I first get started.This has been for a year or two and so far no response from the dealer?

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By bratgirl

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car handles like a dream! The fuel economy is terrific and I get so many comments from other people. Toyota has been fantastic in taking care of the only problem I have had with the car- the computer went out (probably due to very cold weather) and they were amazing! The car has had no problems since. I would have never written a review of any car I have owned in the past, but this little gem is super. I can't wait to get into a new one next year!

FUEL ECONOMY! Handling is great. I test-drove the Honda Civic and the pick up was nowhere near as good as the Toyota Prius. I love that I only have to change the oil every 7500 miles, and only fill the tank every 475-550 miles! Not bad for a little 10 gallon tank! ;)

leather seats

Wonderful Car
By Susan

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2002 Prius is fabulous. I have owned it for 3 1/2 years with no problems. The car gives terrific gas mileage, steady, comfortable performance and excellent reliability.

I would like to see a small, sporty, convertible hybrid. Then, I might trade my car in. Otherwise, I may keep my Prius forever.