Used 2002 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (78 reviews )

02 PRIUS
By sstk100

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had the 02 Prius for about 2 years (our first Prius), and our experience has been great.

In fact we bought an 08 Prius and gave the 02 to our son to drive to school.
I expect we will always have Prius for the foreseeable future.

Gas mileage is lower in winter (35-39), and as high as 48 mpg in summer on a 700 mile road trip.

It's still weird when the engine shuts down when at a stop light....but that's just money in my pocket !

There have been zero-nada problems with anything. It just purrs along all the time.

We like the 08 even better because Toyota updated many things like a a fold down rear seat, better stereo radio, and even more room in back seat.

Gas mileage at 40-45 in normal driving. Another positive is the excellent room in the car (for a small car) Very dependable! The standard features (power locks, windows, stereo, outside temp, etc are nice in base package) Resale value.

Fold down rear seats. Small 12v battery should be up front under the hood, so it would warm up in the winter, when driving. (That might help some of the starting issues when cold) The 03 isn't the most stylish car on the road.

Lasted till all the batteries went
By Jo Ann

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got good mileage. then a few months back the steering wheel went out = $!,000. Then yesterday all the engine warning lights came on = $3,100 for batteries - can't sell the car now!

Unreliable
By bellmel5

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was very excited when I bought this car last November. It only had 24,000 miles with one owner. When I bought the car the dealership said they installed a brand new battery. After a month or two, the battery would not keep a charge. I had to go buy a battery charger (dealer suggestion) and now have to charge the car every other week or it won't start. The dash electronic system shows that the battery is being charged as I drive like normal. But, it won't hold the charge and drains VERY easily. The dealership won't do anything about it. Won't buy from them again. Normal battery cost $250-300! It has turned out to be a very unreliable car because I never know if it is going to start or not.

Gas mileage.

Air-conditioning blows warm air when the car turns over to electric. Unideal in 100 degree weather.

Another positive review
By George Roland

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been very happy with my 02 Prius. Good resale value! It's now 7 years old and running superbly. My MPG has been an average of 38 in the winter and 42 in the summer. This car really has to be serviced at the dealer. I went to Jiffy Lube for a radiator flush, and though they insisted they used the right fluid, they didn't and my car broke down. I had to replace the coolant reservoir ($600). My only other repair still needs to be done: the navigation system stopped working due to an electrical failure. All the other features of the display work (audio, trip computer, avg MPG, etc) The nav can be repaired for $600 refurbished or $4000 new but I think I will just buy a tomtom.

The car always starts and has very reliable/predictable ride and handling. The tech and interior creature comforts are very nice. VERY RELIABLE. Trunk space is fine. Upholstery is soft. Love driving on just battery power (infinite MPG :), it's possible up to 40 MPH once the engine is warm.

The ride/suspension is a little soft. Rear seats are fixed in place and front seats are not Volvo-supportive on long trips. I'm getting the itch to buy a more luxurious car, but I'm probably just taking for granted all the amazing features and incredible reliability of this car.

Disappointing
By shawn

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car used. Wonderful first year. Very happy and proud to drive this car. Saved a lot of money in gas. Only averaged 37 mpg, less than I thought. Then check engine light came on. Cost $1200 to replace 12 volt battery and brakes. 2 weeks later light came on again. Dealer service said codes indicated I need new main battery cost is $3600.00. Called back 2 days later was told problem wasn't battery but transaxle, new cost $4600.00. All the money I saved in gas is shot to hell in one repair. It is outrageously expensive to repair this car. No more Prius for me. I no longer have faith in the car or the techs ability to diagnose and solve problems.

Where do I begin. Driving a car for a year then being handed a bill for $4600.00 to fix things that in an ordinary car would be reasonable is... unreasonable.