Used 2001 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (56 reviews )

2001 Prius
By Kent

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This model of car has some major issues which will become increasingly apparent as it ages. Advice: don't give a review on this car until you have owned it for more than six months. Toyota does not stand behind the warranties on this model of car and tries to weasel out of repairs--this is from a 30+ year Toyota owner. It should have been recalled for defective rack and pinion steering (same as in the later models), inverter and computer problems and accelerator pedal assembly--all very expensive problems to repair. After having owned this car for one year, with two months spent in the repair shop, negotiating with Toyota, I cwill not purchase another Toyota car. Advice: stay away!

Better Toyota admission of problems with this vehicle and more recalls.

2001 prius
By donna

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my baby prius. It is fun to drive, fun to play with the computer screen, and it is fun to pass up the gas stations. It had some major problems when I first got it, but the dealership was very good at fixing the issues. My next car will be a prius.

The gas mileage is my favorite feature.

I would like to see the back seat be able to fold down to give me more room to haul things.

Disposable Vehicle
By Mary Mendence

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have not had good experience with this vehicle. I had intial problems with this vehicle that were minor but irritating. It took two years for a service tech to figure them out. I had the inverter replaced at 92K miles. It was covered undered warranty but I was quoted 7K for the repair had I have to do it myself. At 122K miles I had the main computer replaced at $1,250 and it is in the shop now for a trans axle and another inverter replacement. Total repair costs are $12,000 and I was advised to junk the car. I was also told that it had $0 trade-in value and now I have no car and nothing to sell. What I think happend is that something was wrong and further research indicated motor windings and thats what burned out parts. What they did was replace the burned out parts without fixing the real problem. Now they tell me to junk the car because it is out of warranty. I don't believe in Toyota.

Great car
By Bas

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is just great. Fuel consumption is excellent. The car has enough power for everyday use. All our friends are very positive about this car. Only bad thing is that you can't tow anything.

Fuel consumption!

none

Driving on Empty
By Tammy

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What more can I say, I got this car to save gas and thats what it's doing! And it has the Toyota name to back up the reliability! I've owned 4 Toyota's now (still have 3 of them). I did trade my Matrix in for the 2001 Prius.

The quietness!