2013 Toyota Prius v Consumer Review: After almost 4 years, still a

2013 Toyota Prius v - Consumer Review

Five Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

After almost 4 years, still a great car
By run4jc58 on

2013 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is an update to my 6 month review (below). The "V" now has 53000 miles on it. My job changed and I drive it more for work now, and it's always a pleasure to drive and to enjoy the economy and reliability. I have spent ZERO $$ on the car for anything other than routine maintenance. Starter battery, wiper blades, a set of tires (at 51k miles - they weren't worn out completely), and oil and filter changes. That's it. I have tracked actual mileage since day one with an app called "Road Trip" and the car has averaged 41MPG, and I don't baby the car or try to "hyper mile" like so many Prius owners. I don't use the "Eco" setting - I just drive it. Maybe the mileage isn't as good as the 'regular' Prius, but this is a larger, more spacious car. My wife drives a 2013 Camry XLE Hybrid (another great car) and the "V" has more overall room than the Camry. We've made multiple long distance (1500-2000 miles) road trips - once with 4 people and 4 days worth of luggage.

This is just a great little car. My plan is to keep it in the family and drive it until the proverbial wheels fall off.

Understand - I am a 56 year old man with a wife of 25 years and 2 grown kids.
I am not 'green'...not wasteful, but not 'green.' I don't haul kids, but I do haul 'stuff' sometimes!
I've yet to need to haul anything (Home Depot, etc.) that this Prius wouldn't haul.
I traded a beautiful, fully loaded 2012 Tacoma - 4 door, 4WD, TRD Sport Edition (17 MPG) - on this Prius.

Why?
Fuel economy, and I love gadgets.
This car is my "fun to drive gadget."
Yes, I called it "fun to drive."
Why?
Because I enjoy trying to squeeze the most fuel economy out of that I can, and I'm getting a 'real' 42 mpg - calculated manually (trip computer says 44-46 usually.)
And it's a Toyota - amazing quality.

• Outward visibility
  • Purchase cost
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review