Used 2012 Toyota Prius v Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius v

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:

EXCELLENT Fuel Mileage
By gregff

2012 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive 55 miles one way to work. 5 days a week. I bought the car Oct 19th 2013 and as of 3/15/13 have over 15000 miles. Most of the driving is up and down hills, none are big but all are long grades. About 10 miles is flat. I am averaging 40-41MPG. Ride is excellent road noise is not a problem. Only Complaint I have is the Rear speakers do not have any volume. Dealer has looked at it and says ALL Prius V have the same issue, no fix.

Im 6'5" tall and the ride is comfortable. Have to do a little Grab and Slide to get in and out, but nothing I can't live with. I drive with the ECO button in all the time, rarely us the power button. Calculating on paper not the on board computer I am getting and HONEST 40-41. I did make one trip to East Texas down I-30 and got 46 MPG. Love sitting in Traffic now with the engine OFF. Not using that liquid gold. Takes some getting use to the engine starting and stopping on its own. I have a 2003 Toy Tundra with over 300,000 and The Other car guys will have a VERY HARD time ever getting me back.

The Drink holder in the console needs to be just a little larger in diameter so an insert could be put in. "STUFF", such as condinsation off drink glasses gets into the bottom and at times it is hard to remove. Need a fix the Rear Speakers so they have some volume. The GPS is a little outdated as far as navigation goes. I still use an old Garman in town. The Toyotya GPS is fine for open highway driving. But it will test you in city driving. Overall I will buy another when I wear this one out, if I can!

Rear End Noise
By rhagedorn

Overall I am satisified with the car. My gas mileage, having driven 10,320, is
44.2mpg which is GREAT. The rear storage is more than adequate for a small car. Handles and ride just fine. Our BIGGEST problem we are having, with no fix available at this time, is an increasing high pitch noice coming from rear. The noise has been increasing in loudness and duration as we add mileage. It now is occurring at times when applying breaks. It is more noticeable when it is damp, but has at times made it when dry.
I have had it back to dealer 3 times and this last time was informed Toyato is aware but does not have a fix. So if you are considering proceed with cation! Frustrating for sure!

2012 Prius V - GREAT vehicle - GPS terrible
By rickity1

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2012 Prius V is an outstanding vehicle ... lots of cargo space, 50 mpg [CAN gal] [5.2 l/100km] .. great audio system, heated seats - seriously, a GREAT vehicle.
So - why would Toyota put such a lame GPS system into such a great vehicle?
Seriously - why?
I have a $150 Garmin GPS that is twice as good and that I will use over the Prius GPS every time.
The interface is awkward; the software usually does not "speak" street names and when it does it mispronounces them; it frequently is unable to find locations or POIs that are there but it cannot discover in its data listings ....
Toyota - PLEASE reconsider [replace] the GPS system in this wonderful vehicle.
And PLEASE replace mine!

Everything but GPS system

Fix the GPS system and replace the one in my new [Oct/2012] Prius V - PLEASE!

Horrible!
By crazycatlady58

2012 Toyota Prius v Two 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has gotten stuck in 1 inch of snow this winter, and in Wisconsin that is not a good thing! This car rides horribly also, you feel every bump in the road! My family lives about 40 miles away, and I dread going to see them because I know I will be stiff and sore after the ride there! Another complaint I have about this vehicle is that it is difficult to get a convertible car seat to sit properly in the middle of the back seat while in the rear facing position. It would take forever to get the car seat in just the right spot that it wouldn't tip due to the split between the oddly sized seats in the back. And you can't put a car seat on the side because of the side air bags.

None

Go out of business!

Hurricane Sandy brought us together!! I love my Prius V5
By lbtrofeo

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm a previous owner of a Prius.
Sadly, it was a victim of Hurricane Sandy as it succumbed to the flood waters of the might Hudson River.
Left with no choice and a bus pass, I went back to my dealership and was set on getting the same Prius model.
To my surprise, the Prius V5 was not that much bigger in length but even more surprised on how much room it had inside.
It was significant, especially the trunk space.
I love that it's a true hybrid in every way.
Part car, part mini SUV, part wagon, and part mini van.
I just love how it drives and of course the mileage.

EVERYTHING!! I love the heated seats. There is not 1 or 2 but 7 cup holders. The leather seats are luxurious. The reclining back seat. Back up camera, the internet enabled via blue tooth. It's great to listen to Pandora.