Used 2012 Toyota Prius v Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius v

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:

Good Value and Reliability
By Roger B.

Update of the review at 61,600 miles and 5 1/2 years old:
If you don't want to drive a SUV but need carrying space this is a viable candidate. Still trouble free. The accessories and switchgear operate like day one. The "Destination Look Up" in the Entune suite isn't too user-friendly, especially through the microphone. Best to pull over and type in a destination, although it's cumbersome. The Bluetooth on this car operates very well, it's clear and the signal is not interrupted. It will announce smartphone audible map instructions, interrupting any playing music (however the smartphone's map is not on the car's screen). Overall economy is at 47MPG. Generally the MPG can be around 45 to 51mpg in warm weather and 38 to 45mpg in the winter, subject to the length of the trip and it's speed. Short runs of a few miles will only get to 38 to 45mpg. So if you don't have many long distance runs it will take you longer to get a return on the purchase of a hybrid. I haven't owned any premium vehicles but this one feels premium to me, quieter and more comfortable-riding then some other economy cars. A couple months ago I had the navigation updated. That required three visits to the dealer as they were sent USB drives which wouldn't install on the first two attempts. To summarize, I think this car's tech is still pretty contemporary, also reliability and economy are excellent. There are very few high-roof wagons or hatches (not CUV or SUV) that are similar (a couple of the Subarus or the VW Sportwagen).
Updated review at 56,000 miles:
The car has continued to be trouble-free.
At the 50,000 mile dealer service I had to install front brake pads and turn the rotors.
At 38,000 miles new tires were installed, Goodyear Eagles, LRR (Low Rolling Resistance). After installation of the tires the mpg dropped, but as they got cut in the miles-per-gallon came back to normal.
In the summer, with no high speed runs, there have been a few tanks of fuel over 50 mpg (with the right conditions). Short local trips however will produce high 30s to low 40s mpg readings. I have an average lifetime for the vehicle of just over 46mpg (measured by math on each fill, not the car's meter). I do have a frequent city trip around 30 miles in distance which really lets the hybrid system show it's economy.
The technology is good, bluetooth works well and the Toyota Entune system includes Pandora, Slacker Radio, IHeart Radio, Stocks, Weather and Sports scores. In addition I can also stream Spotify or play from a USB drive. The navigation is the first one I've had, so all I can say is that it works ok, but it's now almost 5 years old. So i did encounter one intersection which had been rebuilt: it did not coordinate with the stored navigation map.
The overall drive experience is pleasant and quiet when cruising along or under light to moderate acceleration. There is engine noise on hard acceleration.
The cargo room is extraordinary, there are fold flat front seats too. The seats are very comfortable, I have the Five with the artificial "leather." They are very comfortable on long trips.
I still am intrigued with this car, it's unlike anything I have ever owned and I mean that in a good way.

Fun ride
By Jao

2012 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second Prius. My first one was a 2006 Prius. My current Prius is 2012 prius V with more features and navi. currently I have 78,000 miles it has not given me any problems so far. I have drive it cross country from NY to CA and back. At one time I commuted 100 miles each way from LA to Bastow ca on I15 in the winter baring from 55 degrees to 28 degrees in the same day x7 weeks. This car handles well in snow but no ice if you know how to handle the car, it is low clearance so parking on a snow bank and trying to get out would take longer. ( living in the east coast you take whatever spot you can) I absolutely love the V it has a lot more trunk room and over head space and wider seats for more comfort. I have gone to home depo and fit 20 bags of mulch and soil with the back seat folded down. It's a great ride with a average of 40.6 miles for the way I drive( mostly high ways to work/ and local roads in NYC) and it's a great long distance car as well. But after driving it for so long on harder conditions i do have to warm up the engine in cold weather and it will shake the engine for 10 seconds before it goes to normal. I have driven it in snow and slush, off road on desert road in Josha tree NP and rainbow basin in Barstow ca. The car handles well just slowly btw 12-35 mph
Pro: good cargo room, easy drive, good gas mileage, reliable car
Con: I don't know if it's common but when I connect the entune system with the iPhone the navi sometimes freezes and the screen stop working until I reset. The buttons for the power , EV, are too close to the cup holder things can spill on it and hard to clean. It's the same engine for a Prius and a Prius V and there is no tow power.

Prius V inferior to Prius
By edickinson

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I continue to be very disappointed in the 2012 Toyota Prius V. I purchased a 2012 Prius V and Prius in October of 2012. I find many issues that make the Prius V an aggravation, dangerous and displeasure especially when compared to the Prius model. These are the reasons: 1. The divers seat’s manual adjustments are terrible and can create dangerous situation to adjust while moving, 2. The engine is not adequate for the weight of the vehicle, 3. The electronics and comfort are inferior to the Prius, 4. Wind noise, 5. Gas mileage is not meet expectations and not as good as Prius, 6. The radio has interference with even local stations.

I would not recommend this model and will trade it.

Cabin space

Electronic seat adjustments; Better radio reception; Reduce wind noise; Increase engine to match weight

Best Car I've Owned
By robuckc

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2012 Prius V especially for a cross country trip I took in April-May 2012.
After 36 days and 9,200 miles of aggressive driving through deserts, mountains and cities, I averaged 40.2 mpg.
In the two years I've owned this car, it has been trouble free.

I love the gas mileage and comfort.
I am 6' 6" tall and have plenty of head room......even in the back seat! I've been amazed how little head/legroom so-called "LARGE and LUXURY" Sedans and SUVs have.......this one has more than most of them! It's roomy and versatile.....I can flatten the back seats and carry Home Improvement supplies (I've hauled 8-10 ft lumber totally inside, by resting the front of the boards on the dashboard), or sleep back there when camping if I choose.

It's not as much fun to drive as my previous stick shift, but it is definitely the best car I've owned.

I would definitely buy another one, especially if they come out with a plug-in.

March 2016 Update.......I'm up to 42,000 miles without ANY problems whatsoever. Extremely reliable, still great gas mileage. Looking forward to checking out the new generation Prius Prime plug-in when it hits dealers later this year.

something not right with this car.
By lchow

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

my car stop showing the EV icon the one with the car icon with the EV inside and the mpg fall down to 35 .anyone have similar problem?

recline 2nd row and adjustable 2nd row seat for cargo space

i wish it had moon roof not panoramic roof.