Used 2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius Plug-in model:

Great daily drive
By Junk Yung

2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback Advanced 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had the car 4 years and this is my second Prius under my ownership. I love the gas mileage of the car with combined 74 mpg (plug-in and gas), however, there are couple downsides of the car. 1) Approximately 12 miles of EV is outdated and not suitable for commuters that needs about 25 miles round trip. 2) Rattling noise that I have observed couple times but unable to fix by the dealer. 3) Not enough lumber support in long road trip.

Great Car With One Drawback
By Jeff Traintime

2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Like my wife's Prius, this car does all you expect of it as far and mileage and price goes. My one, very major disappointment is in the on-board computer. When I bought a 'plug-in', I was under the impression that I would always get to use the approx. 11.5 miles of electric charge before the gas motor kicked in (unless, of course I accelerated rapidly). Instead, the motor often kicks in while I'm still rolling out the driveway and the electric stage comes on intermittently during driving. This means that I often drive 20 or 30 miles before using up my charge which to my thinking, makes the 'plug-in' aspect a waste of time and gas.

Get these gems as they are coming off of leases!
By Joey

I was looking at several electric and plug in vehicles to replace my '04 Prius (which lasted for 293,327 trouble free miles). I test drove many new models but because of my previous car's remarkable reliability and efficiency, I knew the only thing that could replace my Prius, would be another Prius. I found myself searching for my next car at a time after Toyota had discontinued the Prius Plug-in but before it had rolled out its new Prius Prime. I was getting ready to purchase a new 2016 Prius Eco when I came across an off lease company that had several used Prius Plug-ins for sale. They were having trouble moving these vehicles (partly because they had no clue what this version of the Prius did). Using this ignorance to my advantage, I purchased a used 2013 Prius Plug-in for a very good deal. I quickly found out that these are amazing vehicles. I get the same impeccable reliability and efficiency that my other Prius delivered plus the added capability of having an electric vehicle for all of my in town trips. This plug-in version has a modified suspension system from the standard Prius. I found that it handles well and feels confident and firmly planted on the road. The seats are comfortable for long road trips and the spacious cargo area is exactly the same size as in the standard Prius despite the plug-in having a larger battery! These cars are designed for efficiency whether you are using it as an EV or a hybrid. In electric only mode, I've found that my Prius Plug-in is more efficient than many other electric only cars. Its battery size and weight does not seem to prohibit the efficiency of its electric only mode since it does not have to carry the excessive weight of a large battery like the ones found in a Tesla or Leaf. Not having to carry around that "dead weight" is also why I am getting 50+mpg using just the gas engine in hybrid mode. Most plug in vehicles seem to sacrifice the efficiency of their hybrid mode in an effort to carry a larger battery (example, the Chevy Volt with only 37-42 mpg). I've driven about 22,363 miles since I purchased my car a year and a half ago. I am averaging 4.68 miles per kilowatt-hour after travelling 14,122 miles in Electric mode only (compare this number to other electric only cars today and you may be impressed). I am averaging 51.83 mpg after traveling 8241 miles in hybrid mode only (this reflects mostly highway mileage). So go ahead and try to snag one of these gems from an off lease or any used car dealer. You will be happy you did!

Survived Side Impact Crash at 45MPH
By L

Purchased 2012 Prius Plug In April 2015. I wanted everyone to know that my family and I were involved in a side impact crash this year by a 17 year old distracted driver. The crash occurred on a two lane road, and the other driver hit our drivers side from front driver to rear drivers side doors. The side impact air bags deployed as supposed to and no deaths. For a car I only wanted to purchase to drive around to save money, I thought that the thin metal of the doors would not protect very well, I was wrong! This vehicle has taken care of me and my family so well that I purchased another one (2014 Prius Plug In) a week after the crash when I was told my 2012 vehicle was totaled. So before you purchase your next vehicle, what is your family worth, do your home work read reviews and consider if an accident happens which vehicle should you really get!

Love at first ride.
By Kristy Andersen

I bought this car used and it's the first time I've ever been in love with a car. I paid a little more for the advanced version because I really wanted power and the vegan version of leather seats, the bigger navigation screen, and the little projected info on my dash as I drive so my eyes don't leave the road.