Used 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

mr2 fun
By sharon koelsch

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a blast to drive, fun, fun great gas mileage, not very many on the road and get a lot o looks from other drivers. Most think it is a Porsche. I love driving it every day. It is just a fun car all around.

The cool design

Cruise control, better stereo

Dream Car
By Anela

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The best car purchase I've ever made! Fun, fun, fun! Drive it everywhere, and always take the long way to get somewhere. Can't keep a tank of gas in it because I miss it if I don't put 50 miles a day on it (and I don't have a commute). I take it for all my grocery shopping (including Costco) and am not the least embarrassed about groceries riding shotgun. I typically get 30 mpg in mixed (mostly city) driving, and would probably get better if I could prevent myself from having so much fun while driving. Got 34 mpg driving from Mountain View to Fresno once (a steady 80 mph--don't tell the CHP).

The overall driving experience. I have an SMT, and the transmission is such that I can decelerate quite well as I approach red lights. I don't use the brakes much because of that, until I actually have to stop.

Everyone says storage, but I can honestly say, I haven't missed the trunk! I just travel more lightly and leave the kids at home.

Best kept secret on the road today
By Mark G

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

If you want a dumb muscle car that is fast off the line then keep looking. If you want a true roadster with phenomenal handling that won't stay in the shop like classic roadsters then stop looking. The Spyder is a very light car matched to a 138 HP engine. It sits low, has rear wheel drive and mid-engine balance. With a convertible top the overall feeling is unmatched exhilaration at any speed. Add beautiful styling, Toyota quality and 27-33 mpg and you can't beat it. I get an honest 28.6 mpg in city driving. The car's responsiveness can't be described. It is a go-kart feel, but with airbags and modern car features. Do NOT buy as an only car. Not enough storage. Treacherous on ice or snow.

Handling, quality, styling.

More storage would be useful. Handling on ice or snow is impossible.

An Absolute Blast to Drive
By WHWilson

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my daily commute car and is pure fun to drive. Top is easily raised and lowered in a single motion from the driver's seat. Handling is so precise and agile, I sometimes think this car reads my mind. I really wish Houston had more twisty roads. Gets approximately 28 mpg even though my normal freeway speeds are 85 mph+. Car is absolutely rock solid all the way up to top speed of 130 mph.

Handles like a go-cart!

Wish it had a sixth gear and about 70 more horsepower.

Real Pleasure to own
By GWS

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

After having my MR2 now for over a
year, I still have that desire to just
find a reason to drive it. It is so
tight and easy to handle.

The sequential transmission is just
plain fun. I have physical problems
with my legs and had given up on
clutches some time ago. Now with the
touch of a finger, I have the same
wonderful sensational feeling of
driver control.

I have owned several Toyotas and have
always been impressed with the quality
of craftsmanship that is put into each
vehicle that I've owned.

When considering a sports car in this
price range I was certain that nothing
else could touch the dependability
provided in this vehicle.
If you don't test drive it you'll be
sorry.

The uniqueness of it's mid engine design clearly sets it apart in it's class. Thus, it's handling is a great feel on the road. Easy top up - top down with tight fit. Very affordable.

Luggage space is very limited. Not really a big problem because it is hardly ever needed. I did have a custom hitch installed (looks great) and I purchased a small cargo trailer for motorcycles, painted it to match, and have used it on two trips. pulls fine, get great compliments on the combo.