Used 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

Lots of fun but only for fun
By erysipelothrix

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the MR2 from the original owner with 25,000 miles. My wife really wanted one. It is a great car overall but absolutely not practical. Hardly any more room than a motorcycle. I take my daughter to school on the way to work. With my laptop bag, her and me, not much room for anything else. Strictly a car for cruising.

Very peppy, handles unbelievably well. Shifts great. A blast to drive.

No storage space, the trunk in the front just has room for the spare. It is noisy but hey, it's a convertible!! Ride is very taut, I am about 5'10 and 250 lbs. Climbing out is like crawling off the floor. Cup holders turn on rear defroster if you put cups in them (they hit the button)

mr2 fun
By sharon koelsch

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a blast to drive, fun, fun great gas mileage, not very many on the road and get a lot o looks from other drivers. Most think it is a Porsche. I love driving it every day. It is just a fun car all around.

The cool design

Cruise control, better stereo

Dream Car
By Anela

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The best car purchase I've ever made! Fun, fun, fun! Drive it everywhere, and always take the long way to get somewhere. Can't keep a tank of gas in it because I miss it if I don't put 50 miles a day on it (and I don't have a commute). I take it for all my grocery shopping (including Costco) and am not the least embarrassed about groceries riding shotgun. I typically get 30 mpg in mixed (mostly city) driving, and would probably get better if I could prevent myself from having so much fun while driving. Got 34 mpg driving from Mountain View to Fresno once (a steady 80 mph--don't tell the CHP).

The overall driving experience. I have an SMT, and the transmission is such that I can decelerate quite well as I approach red lights. I don't use the brakes much because of that, until I actually have to stop.

Everyone says storage, but I can honestly say, I haven't missed the trunk! I just travel more lightly and leave the kids at home.

Best kept secret on the road today
By Mark G

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

If you want a dumb muscle car that is fast off the line then keep looking. If you want a true roadster with phenomenal handling that won't stay in the shop like classic roadsters then stop looking. The Spyder is a very light car matched to a 138 HP engine. It sits low, has rear wheel drive and mid-engine balance. With a convertible top the overall feeling is unmatched exhilaration at any speed. Add beautiful styling, Toyota quality and 27-33 mpg and you can't beat it. I get an honest 28.6 mpg in city driving. The car's responsiveness can't be described. It is a go-kart feel, but with airbags and modern car features. Do NOT buy as an only car. Not enough storage. Treacherous on ice or snow.

Handling, quality, styling.

More storage would be useful. Handling on ice or snow is impossible.

An Absolute Blast to Drive
By WHWilson

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my daily commute car and is pure fun to drive. Top is easily raised and lowered in a single motion from the driver's seat. Handling is so precise and agile, I sometimes think this car reads my mind. I really wish Houston had more twisty roads. Gets approximately 28 mpg even though my normal freeway speeds are 85 mph+. Car is absolutely rock solid all the way up to top speed of 130 mph.

Handles like a go-cart!

Wish it had a sixth gear and about 70 more horsepower.