Used 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

Not as good as its predecessor
By gurunumber2

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I used to have a 1991 Toyota MR2 until January of this past year when it was taken from me in a rear end collision aka hit me going 70 while I was stopped. I purchased this vehicle thinking it felt so much like the last model. I was wrong. I am thinking about selling it now even though it has only been 11 months. It is so small, much smaller than the previous model. It also doesn't handle as well. Granted it is a good ride, but not as good as the 1991-1995 model year. I have spun out a couple times... once I ended up on the sidewalk... fishtails way too bad. Last car didn't have this problem. This car is too lite and not practical for a daily driver. Fun in good weather with the top down.

I mainly just like that this one is a convertible, whereas the last one was not. Mine is also the SMT version, and I really enjoy this feature. This one has cup holders whereas the older version doesn't.

It needs a trunk, even a small trunk would do. The interior is also fairly unrefined. The plastic molding looks cheap. My wife would like a mirror on the passenger visor like the previous model. Mainly I wish Toyota would bring back the coupe/Ferrari look that was so successful to begin with.

Wow!! I love this little car!!
By Ricky Reed

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've now owned this little car for four years now, and I have to say it's the best I've ever owned. Gas mileage - wow! I average 32-36 mpg around town. No repairs, just oil changes. Everybody is still asking me what it is... they think it's a Porsche! Hangs curves really well with rear engine. Don't complain about the storage space, cuz it's not made for 10 hour vacation trips. Great for touring the countryside, relieving stress, enjoying the scenery. Always turns heads, even a six year old car. Would I sell it? Never!!

Rear engine for traction and curves. Build quality blows Mazda Miata away. Gas mileage is outstanding.

A sixth gear would be all. I know the car is not made for packing a set of luggage, but I didn't buy it for that. Toyota needs to start making them again.

The perfect California commuter car
By Steve

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The 6 speed semi-automatic transmission takes a little time to become instinctive. There were many bad shifts the first week or two, but it's truly a godsend in bad traffic. The car is fun, responsive, easy on gas. I can drop the top in less than a minute sitting at a redlight. If you need to haul junk around don't buy this car. There is no trunk.

It has a shifter in the center console between the seats, as well as, shifter buttons on the steering wheel.

None.

I Love This Car
By Spargo

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is simply amazing, I love the connection between driver and machine in this car, it was the perfect vehicle to gain some real skill in. I had learned before how to drive manual but this is the first I have owned. I personally love the power, we live in a world of speedlimits so having a car where the sensation of speed is greater than the speed you're going or the ammount your accelerating is actually a good thing. Every drive is a thrill and I almost feel bad pulling into my own driveway.

Is everything a feature?

None really, I mean yes I would like what anyone would like, a higher hp engine, meatier tires, fancier suspension, automatic climate controls, heated seats etc, but this would have just made the car pricer and a different car, its perfect the way it is. It's not trying to be 2 cars.

MR2 Fun Fun
By steve

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car but understand that it is not meant to be driven daily. Just getting stuff home from a food store is an adventure. Lordy, though, the adventure is incredible once you get out on roads with lots of curves. An amazing car. Great to look at, performance is fantasic. Body put together well, interior has some issues, things tended to just fall apart. Car has gotten louder in the interior as it has aged. But have owned lots of two seaters going back to MGs andTRs and it is an amazing car. Buy one!!

Interior needs higher quality on dash. Seat fabric needs to be of a higher quality, tends to show wear.