Used 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

YEE HA
By Old Bimmers

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Driving this car while naked is the only way to improve the experience. Bought used from meticulous owner (96k miles). Drove back from TN to waves, smiles and honks with the top down of course; got about 33 mpg @ 75-80 mph. Came back with a framed picture, a lamp w/shade, a wheeled suitcase, beach bag and a pink flamingo. Who said there's no storage? (Just delete any passenger.) There's storage behind the seats and you can sneak a few small items in the spare tire well. This car sits lower than a Mini Cooper. A Honda Fit looks like an SUV when you pull alongside. Keep lights on when driving to improve visibility by others. Buy one and look for the winding roads! YEE HA!

Easy to drop top, mid engine, low center of gravity, Toyota quality, high MPG, unreal handling, fun factor; waves, honks and smiles from everyone

Rear and/or better speakers, but who's listening to the radio when the top is down? Staggered tire sizes can be a problem when replacement is due (you can't rotate tires front to rear due to difference in sizes (rear: 205, front 195). Invest in proper speed rated tires to more fully enjoy.

Great, inexpensive fun
By Mike's Likes

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

It gets attention. You notice people looking at you. Mine has the auto clutch and I just love it. It's quite quick enough also, with strick steering on a dime with great control. I could never get my wife on a Harley so when we looked at this car & it had the auto-clutch and we test drove it, we were hooked. So far absolutely no troubles. It's a great toy for us to just go. If your wanting to haul stuff, buy a pickup. there's very little storage, maybe a couple of duffle bags is all you're going to get in it.

Quick, super-handling, you feel like you're are going faster than you are, for some reason. The independent suspension is fantastic. low to the ground makes for a little effort when getting in, but quite roomie when seated. Very comfortable seating and the best ergonomics.

Not much storage but, I wouldn't change what I have.

Just buy it!
By Roger

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A blast to drive, even more fun to drive than the 87' MR2 that I drove for ten years straight. A fellow latest generation MR2 owner said "You don't get in this car, you put it on". That is just the beginning of having a incredible time every moment in one of the finer engineered products on the market today. If you're doing your research, ignore those who complain about not enough storage space, HELLO- this is a sports car. There are also those who cry about not enough power, 0-60 in under seven seconds, my 2002 has all of the power I need. Others need to spend more time learning how to use the great handling & the advantages of state-of-the-art engineering.

The car is balanced in every conceivable way, I enjoy every bit of this car.

Improvement, none, they got it right the first time back in 86' 87' 88' and then did it right again on the third generation MR2. {sorry, didn't own any 2nd gen's}

Worst car I've ever had
By zak

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Toyota mr2 spyder just last October from a dealer my family and I have bought several cars from. 2 months from the time I bought it, the transmission went. 1 month after that one of the two catalytic converters clogged the exhaust. 2 weeks (now) the other catalytic converter goes out, as well as some engine noise that does not sound so good. Everyone says Toyota are the best cars reliability wise, well I've had 2 Toyotas so far. A 2006 Toyota corolla (new), and a 2002 Toyota spyder (used). Never again will I buy another. Sorry Toyota fans for being so negative, I've just had some really bad luck in these hard times.

MPG

Everything.

Awesome Car
By Saysum

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Real fun to drive. A big head turner no matter where you are. Pristine handling around curves. Good acceleration. Handles VERY well. A real blast to ride with top down. Great lil car to have around.

Handling, style, fun to drive, convertible

A small trunk would do. Other than that, NOTHING. I love it!