Used 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (46 reviews )

Ton of Fun
By SportsCarGuy

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Gets more looks and comments than any other car I've owned. With top down I've carried HDTVs and eight foot tall shrubs! Fast, agile, absolute blast to drive. The later model has better looking front and back lamps but the 01 is essentially the same beast. Most think it's a Porsche but my budget knows what it costs.

Smiles and compliments from friends and total strangers.

None.

Fun with clothes on!
By kaustein

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this as a birthday gift from me, to me. Words can't describe the amount of enjoyment driving such a unique car. Handles very well and quick. A real head turner as there are not many of them. 34+ mpg! Again a very fun, affordable, cool car! Mid-engine is very rare on an affordable sports car.

Uniqueness! MPG. Handling. Funness!

None other than re-introduce the model.

Fun car to own and drive
By Joe

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a slightly modified VW GTI for this car and couldn't be happier. I've had this car for almost a year now and will not part with it for a practical car anytime soon. The midengine rwd layout is a blast and stock this car will out handle pretty much anything in its price range and most cars out of it. The interior has everything you need, and there aren't any unnecesary addons, which is perfect. I have the cloth seats which grip very nicely in the turns and having driven my friend's MR2 Spyder with leather seats, I wouldn't trade him for them as those cause you to slide. I recommend this to anyone who wants a fun car and doesn't mind the lack of practicality.

Easy to work on, a great car for those who want to do things themselves. The handling is incredible and the feel of the car is like nothing else; it's so much fun to hear the engine roar from behind you as it rockets you around a turn.

Stiffen the suspension more than stock (easily done with coilovers which I recently installed myself; the TRD set is perfect to maintain daily drivability) and stiffen the car through bracing, also easily doable through the aftermarket. Other than that I think the car is perfect and I love it.

A Refined Car
By theCarman07

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven Porsches, Lotuses, Ferraris, and once a Maserati, thus I know what it takes to be a good sports car. Overall, the Spyder is my first choice. Why? No, my main reason in not the price, though it helps. The reason is the overall ride and the unique driving experience the Spyder provides. The Spyder puts the Boxster to shame. The interior puts cheaper Lotuses to shame. The exterior provides an aggressive that screams I'm fast. I notice I get a lot less challenges from other drivers on the road, a lot less than my Camaro Z-28. This car is breath taking and gives a pleasurable experience that equals some Ferraris. If you want a sports car buy this one.

Exterior (can't keep the women away!). acceleration (wheee!), dependibility (never broken down), price (can't believe it's this cheap).

More horsepower. Though adequate, could easily be @ Ferrari speeds with 200 + HP.

I like it.
By BLAiv

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 90k miles on it, and haven't had anything beyond normal wear and tear problems. I was only 17 when I got it and now am, partially because of this car, in love with sports cars. The handling is amazing, and I'm not sure there could be a more fun car to drive for a brand-new price of $25,000. In my opinion the same year miata cannot touch this car in looks, and the stats show that goes for the preformance as well. I would recommend this car for any young sports-car-lover with a limited budget such as myself, or anyone who has ~15k to throw into a fun used car.

LOOKS!!! Well balanced and made; reliable. Stares you get and the fact there aren't many around where I live is also awesome. And you can't forget the nearly 30 mpg.

I know this car isn't meant to go fast in a straight line, but I would like a tad more power; lotus pushed 190hp out of the same 1.8L toyota engine. The interior could also use a few more comfort tools and a less spartan look. But then again, for $25k I'll go with it.