Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Reliable and Practical
By axiom

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm echoing what CarParker already mentioned - he has said the best. It really is a sport hatch for the pragmatic. This car feels confident on the highway and quick in the city. I personally prefer the styling of this Matrix to a lot of its competitors out there. They did a great job with the front grill. The suspension is hard and the ride can be rough in the city, but this is expected from a car of this type. Nonetheless, the stability control works well. Brakes are excellent and the seat are very comfortable for me (I'm about 5'11 200 lbs). Comfort is a premium for me since I have issues with my knees for long journeys. Overall, this matrix gives you a smooth ride and great gas mileage.

Plenty of cargo space with hatch, very reliable, looks great (I have the black sand pearl color), practical, good gas mileage, stability control, great pick up from dead stop, and a functional interior. This is a very good bargain.

Rear visibility is a bit lacking. Road noise. The ride in the city can be rough, perhaps different tires or adjust psi? Interior center console can use some sprucing up.

I really like this car!
By Ken

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for about a month and my conclusion is I really like this car. Had an Accord prior and wanted to size down for more gas savings and better maneuverability with a small vehicle with good storage space. I liked the balance offered by the Matrix and thus far it has been a great little car. I got the 1.8 engine on purpose to save gas, and it is surprisingly peppy. I'm going to the beach and it's amazing what I can fit into such a little car. I'm having a blast!

Storage area with fold down flat seats, automatic head lights, the outside look of the vehicle, and gas mileage.

More storage areas in this vehicle, upgrade interior material, and a little more width in back seat to fit 3 adults.

Harsh Ride Has Gotten Better
By twocruzin

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

No problems with this car in the 15 months I've had it. My only complaint is the way it rides on those low profile tires (45's). I think I have finally figured out the best air pressure for the best ride at 4k elevation. I've gone from the recommended pressure of 32 psi up to 35 and down to 30 and then 28. At 28, the ride was pretty good, but you could tell the tires were a bit soft as the handling was just a little mushy. Plus it's not really recommended to go that low as the tires can heat up excessively and cause a blow out. All this said, I've now gone to the other extreme and am running them at 38 psi, and this actually is the best yet. I think I'll leave them there.

The height of the car and the visibility.

Lose the extremely low profile tires - 55's or 60's would be more tolerable.

Better than Professional Reviewers Say.
By CarParker

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I read a lot of tepid & dismissive reviews before I purchase the Matrix S. I've driven many of the cars recommended as alternatives. I think the problem is perception. The look of the Matrix is a bit sportier than its performance. But the gap between its main contender, the Fit, is even greater. If you accept that no one really cares what you drive, so don't rely on your car to define your personality, what you get in the Matrix is Balance. I think this balance is what confounds the automag pros. A little sporty, a lot practical, amazingly reliable. Design is Clean & Simple, Driving is Balanced & Poised. Quick & smooth without being completely lifeless. A sport hatch for the pragmatic.

I like the ground effects. The AC vents are great, a small detail but I detest vents that won't aim or stay put. I love the AutoStick. My wife can drive auto, and I can shift. Shifting works best 'clean'; rev it, get off the gas, shift up, hit the gas. It's nice to flip into 'D' if my cell rings.

I love the clear Gauges and lack of buttons on the steering wheel. The controls are clean & simple. A little more color on the console would be nice. Maybe red rings around AC controls that match the Opitron gauges. That would make the interior pop a bit more.

Decent car
By Jason

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

As a previous Matrix owner I had certain expectations for the new model. My previous was a 2005 XR, my new model is the larger motor S with a 5 speed auto. The new model has much better pickup and feels more confident on the road. The downside to this is the fuel economy is lackluster. My best mileage when all highway miles was just at 30 mpg. My old matrix I averaged 30 overall with a lot of city driving, and had more than a few 36 mpg tanks. So far after only 5800 miles I've averaged 23 mpg with this car. For comparison, my old V6 Oldsmobile Alero got better mileage. I'm very disappointed in the fuel economy of the larger engine, I keep my tires inflated properly and drive conservatively.

The engine has much better acceleration than previous model. That is mostly from the larger engine.

Address the fuel economy of the 5 speed automatic with the 2.4 liter engine. I've been getting worse overall (and highway) mileage that I received on my 2001 V6 Oldsmobile Alero.