Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Marixn 09 disappointing!
By Poormel

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Not particularly fun to drive, has awkward sitting position, seat doesn't travel far back enough for my comfort. I get a back ache after 2 hours of driving, which I don't get in my '01 Corolla. Emergency brake lever placed in a bad position, it seems to be always in the way and can easily be pulled up by a child or you by accident. It creates a cramped area in between 2 front seats. Rear seating room is very limited. Doors sound cheap when closing them.

Rear room is great, mileage not too bad, good brakes. Stereo is decent quality.

Definitely Front Seating room and mobility of seats an issue. Place the emergency brake lever on the floor to create more space between the 2 front seats and make it more safe.

Disappointed
By matrixok

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Paint chips all over. Will have to have it repainted. Blind spot in the back. Gas mileage is good. Had tire blow out and had to replace 2 tires and rims. This was due to something the dealer did but as another review said the dealers do not own up to anything. On 3rd radio. Transmission seems to be slipping. Interior is hard to keep clean

style, roomy, handling

Blind spot, paint used, tire change for a better ride, honest dealers.

Worst and Last Toyota I will ever own
By Disillusioned

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the absolute worst car I have ever owned in my life, even worse than the used clunkers I drove when I was young and had no money. I have previously owned two Toyotas, which I absolutely loved (Corolla SR5 and an MR2). In this case, the third time is definitely not a charm. The car has no power, does not shift smoothly, the rear visibility is terrible, and the defrost leaves a lot to be desired. It is too bad that Toyota does not offer the same deal that General Motors does (i.e., give it back in 60 days if you are not satisfied), otherwise, this car would have been brought back in a heartbeat. Please run, don't walk, if someone tries to sell you a Matrix.

Gas mileage.

Too numerous to mention.

Mad
By mary

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Matrix because I heard Toyota was a great car. I owned my Matrix for a month when I noticed paint chips on the hood, roof & back bumper. Took it to the dealership, they had the hood redone & touched up the roof & the bumper. That upset me. I thought it should have been repainted. Mind you I spent the extra 2000 & for the protective coating. One month later it's chipping on the hood & roof again. They sent me to the gentleman who repainted & touched it up the first time. I don't believe it's his fault. They should be dealing with it.

I do like the way it drives.

Paint needs big time improvement. Seats not so comfy & they stain easy. I have the protective product on them to.

Owned for over one year
By gthumb

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car drives very easily, however the fit and finish is horrible, rattles since day one, tire issue within 1st 3 mos. Toyota service awful, seems very cheap, not worth the price, poor paint quality, paint is chipping off the hood, design looks nice, but the front end needs a redesign to prevent the damage done to it from simple everyday driving.

Steering is very easy, good gas mileage (ave. 33mpg).

Better front end design, ipod connection standard, better fit and finish, better quality paint, better Toyota service (nothing is ever their fault).