Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Luv that Matrix?
By george

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned the Matrix for a year. We purchased at the peak of the gas price run last year and its clear that Toyota gave us no price breaks. We paid $21,000 for the 2 wheel drive car. Its a fun peppy hard riding car with style. Its got poor visibility out the back and only OK mileage. I have the metallic red, no paint chips so far!

The goodyear tires, standard OME, were a poor choice, purchase snow tires. The Toyota bike rack is a strange contraptions, Thule just released a fit kit for the 09. Wheel Rims, 09 sold with 2 sizes and no info in the manual. 5spM, AWD have bigger lug spacing. 4&5spA same as old models.

Great car my awd
By HWR

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our 09 matrix in 2008. At the time living in snowy area we got the awd-s model with the 2.4 litre Camry engine. Traction control on snow/ice fantastic. Not too many other cars can beat it from a light, eccept maybe a sports sedan with a v-8? paint chips easily, seats uncomfortable&blind spots, mileage is o. k. 28-30 mpg on highway. Overall the car is good. 31,000 miles&only oil changes. All 4 tires will need to be replaced soon. Remember, it's awd!

Is Toyota ever going to do what I want?
By windysun

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I love my 09 Matrix. My tall kids are comfortable in the back. I think it is the best looking car for this class. However, Toyota skimps on little luxuries. If this car were made by Lexus under a different name, I would buy 3. This car needs more comfortable seats. As usual, it is bare bones. I don't feel I paid bare bones price though. When you hit a curb or something, holy cow. The whole car gets a jolt.

Styling, AWD, roominess.

More comfortable seats, more luxuries. Also MORE COLOR CHOICES.

2009 matrix 4d hacthback
By abstract007

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced a vw beetle with the 2009 matrix its good not to be in the every month. So far so good its lacking pickup the automatic transmission could use improvement in order to get power I have to be hard on the kickdown but it will reach 110mph on a good day with a tail wind. Toyota need to improve the transmission, noise level fr;under carriage, front suspension easily get out of alignment,fuel 31mpg average I commute it meet the daily needs

Pleasure to own/drive since day one
By Evan

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a pleasure to own/drive since day one. Toyota did an excellent job at making an inexpensive car look and feel twice what I paid for it. Also the headrest is perfect! If you are looking for a great car that's budget friendly this one is definitely worth a look.

Gas mileage, cargo space, keyless entry beeps, aux, outside temp display, stereo, Toyota reliability, low on maintenance.

More interior choices, standard sunroof, standard audio controls on steering wheel, ability to over ride auto headlights.