Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Didn't Know What I was Looking For Until I Found It
By tandem2

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had been looking for a vehicle to give my 2001 Trooper a rest for the work commute.
I had driven everything from BMW X3's to the Nissan Cube and was really getting disappointed.
Then I got behind the wheeel of a 2009 Matrix XRS with 10k miles on it...WOW! Within 5 minutes I knew that I had found the vehicle I was looking for. Comfortable for my 6 foot frame, sporty, fun to drive, relatively economical and pretty darn practical for the exterior dimensions.

It has been 3 months since the purchase and my wife and I are still commenting how pleased we are with the car.
We some long (400+ mile) trips coming, and we are looking forward to them.

Great job Toyota!

My Matrix Design Saved My Life
By staylor80

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Martix for it's carrying capacity & for my dog. BUT, it was destroyed two days ago in a 5 car collision. I was rear ended 3 times at 55 mph, & struck pick up in front of me. I walked away with minor injuries. EMS & police all commented on the quality of how the vehicle stood up under that assault and the EC nurses were amazed. So, I will be replacing it with a new 2010 model later this week with NO hesitation. The only thing is, I'm looking for way to keep cargo contents from flying around in a crash (things too big for the net that came with the car).

crumple zones, air bags, seat belts, and interior design.

Easier access/suggestions for barriers to keep contents from cargo area from intruding in to driver/passenger seat part of cabin.

Love My Matrix!
By Renee

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 2 years, and I haven't had any problems with it. It's fun to drive, handles well, and entertains me when it accelerates faster than other cars that should, by virtue of their purchase price, easily be able to take mine off the line from a traffic light. It's easy to find in any parking lot since I got the gold/orangish color, and the stereo system is awesome as it belts out tunes. Very minor complaints include the mediocre fuel economy. Also, my windshield used to make odd noises from to time but hasn't done that in a while. And if you don't buckle up that seat belt, Matrix will remind you (with 50 fast beeps).

Zippy acceleration, comfortable seats, roomy interior

Please, for the love of mankind, add a kill switch for that infernal seat belt reminder. If I want to drive .5 miles from my grocer to home I don't want Matrix big brothering me.

2009 Matrix get a 1.8 engine not a 2.4
By Dude

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The Matrix 2009 is a great looker but terrible on gas mileage maybe 17 if I am lucky. If you drive like a old man at 55 maybe get 20. I screwed up and wanted power and bought the 2.4 engine instead of the 1.8 . With a 2.4 the gas goes down these fuel injectors like its no tomorrow. It's really a shame I picked a gas guzzler and it doesn't look like a SUV.

color

better gas mileage and better ride those small wheel are no good really bumpy

Literally feel every bump on the Road
By my2009toyotamatrix

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

In 2009 Toyota came out with a new sharp style Matrix with powerfully 2.4 engine instead of 1.8 . So I bought it after what I thought was a long test drive. After having it for a while It started bugging me with the road noise driving literally any where. Road noise and bumpy ride is finally starting to drive me nuts. It has those showy 17 inch rims with hardly any tire meat on them to absorb simple roads conditions. It looks like 2 inches thick makes a really terrible bumpy ride. Now I am stuck with a $20,000 car that looks cool but rides like a milk truck. They made the disk brakes so big you cant change it for a smooth ride, I better trade it in before word gets out. This car is done.

looks

I want 15" to get a smooth ride, they said you can only go to 16 inch because the calibers and rotors are huge you cant go to 15 inch it didn't clear the caliber brake system it got stuck no clearance at all. Bummer and 16 aren't going to do much for a better ride because its only another inch more