Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

I can't believe anyone has anything good to say about this car!
By hatematrix

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Matrix because we travel and it had the room we needed and thought it would get the gas mileage we wanted.
Okay-1 out of 2.
But the car is a death trap.
We've had 4 accidents because of the blind spots.
A salesman from Toyota called and asked if I would be interested in trading my car--I told him no one would want it and I wouldn't want to sell this car to an unsuspecting innocent person.
I've had several Toyotas and never had a complaint.
But the only thing I can find positive besides it starting everyday, is the handle to close the hatchback and the abundance of drink holders.
Starting everyday is good!

Drink Holders, Handle on Hatchback. Plenty of space in the back

Too numerous. I was told they quit making the Matrix--that was the best improvement.

Perfect for me
By 09trix

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car over a year ago to replace my first car, an Oldsmobile that broke down at least once a month. As a young girl in college, I wanted something reliable that also looked nice. I love the unique look of the XRS, the interior is comfy, and everything is easy to use. I know a lot of people aren't happy with the gas mileage in the 2.4L but it's fine for me, I get about 30mpg on the highway. I also LOVE how much space it has; I was able to haul a full-size mattress in it! The only complaint I have is that it's a little cheaply made... the paint flakes off the hood way too easily and the interior scratches very easily. Other than that, no complaints. This car is just what I needed.

Toyota onslaught of Service Bulletins
By matrix1_8l

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car originally because I wanted to replace my old hatchback with something reliable and fuel efficient. So I went for the 1.8L up until now I had gotten what I paid for. The issues started when I went hit the 50000 mile mark. Since then I have been to the dealership service center over 5 times for major repairs.
All of which are documented in Service Bulletins. The latest issue affects all matrix and corollas with the 1.8L engine and will not be covered after the 60000 mile warranty runs out. They actually have to go in, take apart the engine and replace engine components of the crankshaft assembly. That doesn't seem reliable to me.

I personally like the sound system and fold-flat back seats. The car has a spacious interior and a sleek look on the outside.

The clutch on the manual transmission can be temperamental. I've had the car turn off on me various times when accelerating from a stopped position. There have also been times when the reverse has not engaged properly even when the car is fully stopped and the clutch is fully pressed in.

I hate it I hate it I hate it
By deafmatrixdrvr

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I swear the thing has damaged my hearing it is so loud.
The door seals are one poor design and allow air to whistle and roar through the car.
Took it back twice and they replaced the seals with no improvement. Finally ran silicon sealant around behind the seal and that has helped a lot.
Tire noise very loud.

Loud gear whine at 35 MPH and You can't shift into reverse without double clutching or hammering the stick.
Both normal per dealer.
Impossible to back up at night.
Stupid automatic headlights can not be turned off and backup lights are too weak.
Gas mileage is poorer than my Camry with same motor and tank is too small.
Max of 300 miles and it's on Empty.

We bought the car because I'd had good luck with my 2003 Camry and because the Matrix has a ton of room for hauling stuff. Seats fold flat - even the passenger's. The 2.4 is peppy and the seats are comfortable.

Better door seals. Better sound insulation. Better transmission. Some way to override automatic headlights other than leaving the emergency brake on. Brighter backup lights. Smaller side mirrors (big blind spot on left makes it hard to see when turning left.) Better gas mileage. Larger tank. Tone down the too bright Passenger Security lights.

Big Disappointment
By camrykiller

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because it looked cool, and I always had Toyotas.
I thought it would be fun to drive, and good on gas.
Wrong.
The car is ridiculously boring to drive.
At 49,000 miles, the paint is peeling off the hood and front bumper...should be rusting soon.
This car has the worst blind spot in auto history with the ridiculous pillar thing in the back rear.
The interior is cheap, and it drives like a tonka toy car.

Although the car will probably run forever, I would not buy this car again.
I traded it in at 49,000 miles for a 2007 Honda Accord.
Let me tell you....There is no comparison!
The Toyota Matrix is so boring to drive and is a waste of money unless you just want A to B

Mp3 input, hatch, and fold down seat

Get rid of that pillar thing (blind spot..accident waiting to happen) More horsepower for uphill Better quality paint More comfortable interior Roomier interior Better stereo Less plastic in the interior....looks like it cost $4.99 to manufacture the whole front dash Toyotas have gotten so cheaply manufactured. My 2000 Camry was made so much better than this thing, and that was 9 years previous