Used 2008 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Love My Matix
By R P Foster

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I truly love my Matrix. A friend of mine bought a 2007 XR and she loves it. I am 6ft7in tall and weigh 276lbs. I have great head and leg room. Also the body style seems to sit higher than a standard car and this makes it easier to get in and out of. We have made 2 trips to Gulf Shores AL and found it to be a pleasure to drive.

Moonroof, adjustable seats and steering wheel

Ipod dock and GPS system

Loved my Matrix
By Speedster Girl

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was a previous Honda Civic owner when I purchased my Matrix for increased versatility. I found the car to be comfortable, roomy (for me at 5ft10in and my husband at 6ft3in), a blast to drive, and great for hauling anything I wanted to put in it. I also learned recently that the Matrix is also a very safe car. I was in a front-end collision with a Suburban the other day. I estimate the impact was at ~50mph. The car is a total loss, but I walked away with nothing but a scratch and few bruises (mostly from the seat belt). I would buy another '08 Matrix in a second if I could. It's a bummer the '09s are less fuel efficient.

The turning radius is mind-blowingly small, large cargo and passenger space, versatile and peppy little car that was so fun to drive. I'm so sad my Matrix is gone.

Increased gas mileage! Maybe a hybrid version?

Nice little versatile car
By mtmatrix

2008 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Matrix for just over a year now. It's a great little drive. Combined mileage is 28 mpg for my automatic. I get plenty of power for highway acceleration. I coach soccer and the hatchback lets me haul all my gear, including 5 foot corner flags. The fact that you can fold down just part of the back seat is very convenient. My only issue is the driver's seat back support. I'm used to a minivan with big soft comfortable seats.

Cargo area with the 60/40 split back for easy fold down options. Good gas mileage. Low tire pressure warning light is handy. Fun to drive (says my teenage daughter).

More comfortable driver's seat with better back support.

Great Car
By RIDG3RUNN3R

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have put 15k on my matrix already in 5 months. We have been up and down the east coast, including snow in the Adirondacks this November. I have camped out of it on several occasions. This vehicle is a very reliable and versatile machine. I recommend it to anyone. Competes with any Subaru, if it isn't better. I have carried canoes, bikes, kayaks and skis. It handles well even fully loaded.

The ability to get it off road because it has a small wheel base. I have driven around mudholes and rocks where others needed 4x4.

They already have with the all-wheel drive in 09 model.

Just an Awesome Car!
By angelofmusic5583

2008 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have been wanting a Matrix for the last two or three years, and I finally got one at the end of 2007! It is the best car I have ever owned, and it is so much fun to drive! I don't regret for minute buying it, and not only is is sporty and cute, it's very comfortable! I'm 5'4, but I have people who are over 6'0 tall riding in my care on a regular basis, and they all agree it is comfortable as well! This is my first Toyota, and I believe they have me for life now!

How comfortable the seats are, the six speaker stereo system, and the sun roof! I also love how much room there is in it, and that when the seats are folded down, it's all plastic on the back, so it protects your upholstery.

The only thing that I really don't like about the Matrix is that the six CD changer that I paid extra for does not have an iPod adapter and does not make it easy or cheap to add one.