Used 2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

POOR RIDE QUALITY
By animalshack252

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car with 20K in june 09 now has 85K february 10 car has been reliable and good for delivery purposes, not comfortable to ride in at all would not buy another, goes through brakes more than average vehicle, think next time i will go back to honda. this car stinks in the snow so don't buy if you have to climb hills

exterior appearance

suspension, interior design and comfort

A great upgrade from a 96 geo tracker
By dlbrooks

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased my Matrix I was looking for something that would be good on gas and my dog could fit in. Well I got both. I figured that the car would do well in the snow being front wheel. We had a big snow storm recently and I wasn't impressed how the car handled itself. I did not feel safe driving in the snow and ice. Other than that this car is perfect for me, my husband and dog. It will hold all kinds of things in the cargo area with the back seat still up!! I purchased the dog gate and it works great. Everyone who has seen my car or rode in it love it. They rave about it. I might however buy a 4wdrive in the near future for safety reasons only.

Size of car is perfect. Great heater and air cond. Seats sit up higher so you are not sitting on the floor. great view while in driving seat

Sun roof rattled, took it in to get fixed. Inside the car rattles quite a bit right after we purchased it. Car only had eight miles on it. Front end shocks broke within a year and caused horrible clunking sound. Took in to be fixed. Heater control in the way when the shifter is in park.

Took awhile, but now I love mine.
By WhoMe?

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was a died-in-the-wool Honda guy, driving my second Accord (an '89) into the ground, so I really pictured myself in a Fit. But the black- interior only, no-sunroof, constraints knocked them out. I got busted for DUI the third night I had it, and it cast a real pall over that wonderful "new car" feeling. (I'm not a bad guy... it's a long story). Anyway - LOVE it now. They finally fixed a minor rumble/rattle from the back that I lived with the first year, and it looks like new and suits me to a T. I bought it specifically for hauling things with the seats down, and it's great - the cargo nets help a lot.

6-disc CD Changer (I work for an audiobook catalog company and get to borrow them for free(!)). Regrettably, the only thing I DON'T like is that it lacks the iPod/mp3 jack that the 2009 has in the armrest.

Don't introduce next year's model in January - it was almost impossible to find a suitable '08 the first week of 2008. Offer a lighter interior than dark grey that is not tan. Hybrid is a big "DUH" - I dinged the mileage 'cause our Civic Hybrid gets 42-48 mpg for our driving.

Matrix 08--so far so good
By matrixdriver

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I needed the most fuel efficient car I could find that could still carry a bunch of stuff. There were some good hybrid options, but they were too pricey and I'm unsure about the battery technology. So, I checked out the Matrix, Fit, and Mazda 3. They are all good cars that would have worked, but I went with the Matrix because I got a pretty good price, got a long warranty, and it had all the features I needed. Had a little more space than the Fit and was more comfortable in the driving position. I was also hoping to have something very reliable, and Toyota along with the Corolla this is based on, seemed perfect. 23,000 miles in it still seems like the right choice.

Can fit a lot of stuff in it. Seats fold down flat. Comfortable for a small car. 27mpg 65/35 city/hwy. Less if more city, can push 30 if more hwy. Did a 1,200 mile trip and kept the cruise at 66 as much a possible and got over 35mpg! Been reliable so far.

The complaints I've seen are true. Engine is coarse and the cabin is a bit loud, but doesn't bother me. Got a few rattles in the plastic interior. The plastic on the inside of the doors, and the back seats when folded down, scratch easily and show it. Stereo is ok sounding at best.

BEST OVER ALL CAR!!!
By Robert

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Toyota, never really liked them until I got mine and Toyota has me sold for life. Great car all around, comfort is ok, like others, back seat can be a little more confy and I have to issues with the driver side. Great acceleration for a small 1.8l vvt-I four banger. I put in a cold air intake and got better mpg and performance. I also love the looks better than the 09, don't like the new design. Have not had any issues with it at all. I got mine in the speedway blue metallic color and everyone compliments me for it, great color. Car handles very well on curves and ride quality isn't bad for a small compact. I only wish I had gotten the awd when they offered it, I hate my self 4 that.

Styling, gas mileage, performance, quality, ok comfort, not bad. REALLY FUN TO DRIVE and SHOW OFF. Anyone that talks smack about it, dosen't understand cars, it's a great car for the price and what it is.

SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE AWD!!!