Used 2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Comments after 2+ years of driving
By BILL

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great hauling space. Excellent mileage. Terrible radio display. Invisible with sunglasses on, especially on a sunny day. Rough ride, you can feel every bump. Jumps forward when moving from a stop. The PT Cruiser that the Matrix replaced was a better car to drive.

Great gas mileage plus hauling space.

Fix the radio display. Soften the ride slightly. Remove the startup jump.

Excellent buy
By sealey757

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Matrix for about 13 months now. I have to say that I’m constantly reminded of how good of a decision it was to buy this car! I traded down from a 4runner, and I have to say that I don't miss the cargo space. The cargo space provided in this matrix is unreal. The driving performance is good, the interior is good, and the fuel economy is good. Lets be honest if you're looking at this car it’s to be economical, and you can't expect top of the line performance for the price. But for versatility, there aren't many out there that can't beat this. I definitely recommend this for anyone trading down from a SUV. Handling is firm and responsive, and fun to drive.

Cargo space, fuel economy, fun to drive, good handling.

Better cup holders (one is smaller than the other).

M Theory
By BigSam

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the Speedway Blue M-Theory Special Edition. Awesome 17" wheels & spoiler. Chicks love the car! Seriously. Mine's a 5 speed & still has little power, but I don't mind. I usually get about 32 mpg, but I drive about 80% city miles. Haven't been on a long road trip to test strict highway mileage. I'm 6'3" & car has plenty of room for me. The seat is only halfway back! Ride is a little rough with "sporty" suspension on M Theory. Occasionally clicking sound in brakes, dealer says is normal - that's a little annoying. Fun to drive!

Good mileage, 31-33 avg. Huge interior!! No joke. Good build quality.

MP3 player. Stick shift gets annoying.

Jack of all trades
By Nippon Fan

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is such a fun car, considering it can seat four adults in comfort or carry a whole ton of stuff. The back seat is easy to drop flat, yet is a real full-size adult seat when it is up. Despite being a proper little utility vehicle, it also has great handling and a peppy engine - you never want for power yet the fuel economy is great (35+). I do believe you need to choose the manual transmission with the available power here - the automatic is much slower and also harder on gas. And I think it's a looker! One of my favorite details is the optitron gauges - I know those are becoming much more common these days, but I like how easy they are to read.

Handling, fuel economy, reliability, versatility, looks, low emissions, strong brakes, fun!

As others have noted, needs more driver's seat adjustments and could also use a telescoping steering wheel. Stock stereo is barely adequate at best, and mine isn't even the base model, it is the optional stereo! The shifter is OK but could be better - it's kind of notchy.

Every Car Should Be This Fun To Drive
By canoe_junkie

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The fact that I put on over 24k in the first year of ownership should tell you how much I like this car. My highway mileage when keeping the car between 65-70 has been routinely 38 mpg. In town, 29 mpg. In terms of "fun to drive factor", this car has not disappointed. By fun, I don't mean lots of torque. Think nimble, like a Mini Cooper or other small wheel base car with perhaps a little more oomph. The power is more than acceptable for a commuter car. The capacity is deceiving, with the seats down, I fit 8' lumber with no prob. Headroom is excellent, my 6'5" friend sits inside with room to spare. DIY maintenance has been easy with only oil & filt change and tire rotation every 5k.

Mileage. Reliability. Capacity. The fact that I still smile everytime I drive it. Capability in snow & rain. Mine is 2WD, and I still take it off- road & have needed to winch it out only once. I love the styling, I looked at its sister, The Vibe, but it didn't do it for me. Tires have nice grip.

I researched this car for over 2 years and went to buy an AWD model, but it was discontinued in 06. Dissapointing. I am 5-10 and had to get used to the close seating position, it needs telesc steering if your over 5-6. 4" more in the hatch width would allow 4' cargo. Cargo surface scratches easy