Used 2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

M Theory
By BigSam

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the Speedway Blue M-Theory Special Edition. Awesome 17" wheels & spoiler. Chicks love the car! Seriously. Mine's a 5 speed & still has little power, but I don't mind. I usually get about 32 mpg, but I drive about 80% city miles. Haven't been on a long road trip to test strict highway mileage. I'm 6'3" & car has plenty of room for me. The seat is only halfway back! Ride is a little rough with "sporty" suspension on M Theory. Occasionally clicking sound in brakes, dealer says is normal - that's a little annoying. Fun to drive!

Good mileage, 31-33 avg. Huge interior!! No joke. Good build quality.

MP3 player. Stick shift gets annoying.

Jack of all trades
By Nippon Fan

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is such a fun car, considering it can seat four adults in comfort or carry a whole ton of stuff. The back seat is easy to drop flat, yet is a real full-size adult seat when it is up. Despite being a proper little utility vehicle, it also has great handling and a peppy engine - you never want for power yet the fuel economy is great (35+). I do believe you need to choose the manual transmission with the available power here - the automatic is much slower and also harder on gas. And I think it's a looker! One of my favorite details is the optitron gauges - I know those are becoming much more common these days, but I like how easy they are to read.

Handling, fuel economy, reliability, versatility, looks, low emissions, strong brakes, fun!

As others have noted, needs more driver's seat adjustments and could also use a telescoping steering wheel. Stock stereo is barely adequate at best, and mine isn't even the base model, it is the optional stereo! The shifter is OK but could be better - it's kind of notchy.

Every Car Should Be This Fun To Drive
By canoe_junkie

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The fact that I put on over 24k in the first year of ownership should tell you how much I like this car. My highway mileage when keeping the car between 65-70 has been routinely 38 mpg. In town, 29 mpg. In terms of "fun to drive factor", this car has not disappointed. By fun, I don't mean lots of torque. Think nimble, like a Mini Cooper or other small wheel base car with perhaps a little more oomph. The power is more than acceptable for a commuter car. The capacity is deceiving, with the seats down, I fit 8' lumber with no prob. Headroom is excellent, my 6'5" friend sits inside with room to spare. DIY maintenance has been easy with only oil & filt change and tire rotation every 5k.

Mileage. Reliability. Capacity. The fact that I still smile everytime I drive it. Capability in snow & rain. Mine is 2WD, and I still take it off- road & have needed to winch it out only once. I love the styling, I looked at its sister, The Vibe, but it didn't do it for me. Tires have nice grip.

I researched this car for over 2 years and went to buy an AWD model, but it was discontinued in 06. Dissapointing. I am 5-10 and had to get used to the close seating position, it needs telesc steering if your over 5-6. 4" more in the hatch width would allow 4' cargo. Cargo surface scratches easy

Just a Nice Little Car
By car crazy

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have loved driving my Matrix on trips and around town. The gas mileage is OK. This is my fifth toyota and I find myself constantly comparing, which I should not do. I find that there is a lot of room especially when the rear seats are down. A mat would have been nice to cover the whole cargo area. I have read many revues on the car but have not yet seen my pet peave yet, which is a roof rack. It is so very expensive to fit this car with a roof rack. I cannot believe it's not an option. But I guess, given the overall performance, gas mileage and especially the handling, it still comes in as a number one car for me.

Steering, handling, looks, interior design, stereo, dash lights at night.

I would love to see this car with a roof rack as an option. So many people like myself travel with families and animals (I have two large dogs that take up the entire cargo area), that we need a place for luggage.

All around hit
By Afield

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first new car purchase since 1994! I love my Matrix!! I never thought I'd be able to afford the car I wanted but the Matrix was both affordable and comfortable. It's a great car for tailgating and for all my gardening adventures because it just wipes clean.

My favorite feature is the comfortable adjustable driver's seat, I love the way it can be raised up (I'm short) as well as forward and back.

Better stereo system would be great. I'm a real music person so an upgrade is due very soon.