Used 2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Two years later
By dennis jensen237

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this car two years ago and haven't had any trouble with it. It's engine is noisy especially when the air conditioner is being operated. Driving up hills can add to the noise. The interior is useful and it comes it handy when transporting odd shaped objects. All in all I would purchase this vehicle again. I have to say it's a great transportation car and the price was just over $13000.00 (new) gas mileage is only twenty -two combine but gets a good 32 mpg on the highway to and from Vegas.

Interior. Sound system sounds pretty good for factory system. High mpg.

Air conditioner with engine less noisy, better city mpg, other wise great car.

Love it!
By C

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2005 Matrix until I was T- boned on driver side after a minivan ran a red light at 50 mph. Car was totaled, but I walked away with all limbs & I was so happy w. the safety of side impact that I bought another Matrix (2007). I love it! City MPG on manual trans. is about 29-30 MPG (I calculate it every so often). I am only 5'2" so I like that the seat raises and I don't have to be too close to the steering wheel.

Seats, Remote Keyless Entry, look of car, hatchback & interior space/room, location of cup holders, easy clutch/pedals to push, great for shorter peeps

More standard interior lights. Take out crumb-collecting coin holder in center console. Make roof rack an option. Make remote beep when locking & make hatchback button faster.

Favorite car yet - highly recommend it!
By MarleneB

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Can't say enough good things about this car. If you're short, this car will fit you very well - no longer have to have steering wheel in my chest to reach pedals. My husband wanted me to buy one with extra (6 total) airbags but they weren't available in L.A. area. Fleet Mgr. found one from Oxnard area. In that pkg I got nicer wheel covers, moon/sun roof, 5 CD changer and the extra airbags. I think my stereo rocks. Maybe I got a better one? Used the car to move things out of my mom's estate. I have picked up materials for kitchen remodel. Have averaged 30 mpg in heavy traffic & city driving. I'm sure I'd get 40+ on long drives. When necessary I can punch it and get the power I need.

Stereo, cargo room, comfort, gas mileage.

I don't care for the included "cover" for the cargo area (to hide packages etc) straps for attaching it to car are very flimsy. Could use a "carpet" or the like for laying over cargo surface before loading items that could scratch.

Comments after 2+ years of driving
By BILL

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great hauling space. Excellent mileage. Terrible radio display. Invisible with sunglasses on, especially on a sunny day. Rough ride, you can feel every bump. Jumps forward when moving from a stop. The PT Cruiser that the Matrix replaced was a better car to drive.

Great gas mileage plus hauling space.

Fix the radio display. Soften the ride slightly. Remove the startup jump.

Excellent buy
By sealey757

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Matrix for about 13 months now. I have to say that I’m constantly reminded of how good of a decision it was to buy this car! I traded down from a 4runner, and I have to say that I don't miss the cargo space. The cargo space provided in this matrix is unreal. The driving performance is good, the interior is good, and the fuel economy is good. Lets be honest if you're looking at this car it’s to be economical, and you can't expect top of the line performance for the price. But for versatility, there aren't many out there that can't beat this. I definitely recommend this for anyone trading down from a SUV. Handling is firm and responsive, and fun to drive.

Cargo space, fuel economy, fun to drive, good handling.

Better cup holders (one is smaller than the other).