Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews

$7,000

Used Matrix for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Best car I ever bought for the money!

greg oloskey, 03/20/2016
XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

PLENTY of room, great gas mileage, extremely dependable! Nice looking.

Great Car!

dkadwell, 05/06/2011

We bought this car in 2007 with 6000 miles already on it. We were replacing our Hyundai Elantra which gave us nothing but problems. We love this car. It folds down flat very easily and we have hauled everything in it from trees to our daughter's complete nursery. We love it. It have never once given us an issue. It is a little tight with car seats, but still works for us at this point in our lives. It gets about 32/33 mpg city and closer to 36/37 highway. It has been great in these rising gas prices. We have about 104k miles on it and it is still running strong! Highly recommend this car if you want a little more than Sedan but don't don't need more than 5 seats!

Super reliable, sad to trade in for AWD car

cadyn, 07/17/2013

I bought by 2006 Matrix XR new and have loved every day of owning it. I've never had any mechanical problems, just kept up with regular oil changes (full synthetic) religiously and regular maintenance. Had a main computer issue in 2008/9, but was covered under warranty and was replaced. Fairly inexpensive upkeep. Excellent cargo space, much bigger inside than it seems! I've been able to fit bicycles, chairs, tables... (not all at once of course). Great for road trips, averages almost 30 mpg highway. Could have better lumbar support. Not great pickup when accelerating uphill, but no complaints. I love this car and am so sad to have to trade it in for an AWD vehicle for my mountainous terrain!

Good All Around Car

Landric, 04/25/2010

I bought this car new in 06. I traded my 02 Mazda Protege ES in on it when the Mazda had 115000 miles (trouble free). I got the automatic because I was living in a high traffic volume area where its less fun to drive a manual. I got the base model with power windows and locks, keyless entry, cruise, etc. Its a great looking car with lots of interior space and a mostly well thought out interior. Ride is smooth, nice driving position, clear gauges, etc. I'm at 90k now & I need to trade it on a minivan because I can't fit a rear facing child seat behind me & still have enough space to drive (twins!). The throttle body went at 70K (covered by extended warranty) and the CD died at 80k.

i hate hub caps

dangading, 02/04/2010

I've had my Matrix going on 4 years now and although it's been really great, I have recently run into a couple of problems. For 1, it hasn't had hub caps for years! They fall off too easily. After reading this, I'm sure you'll see plenty of non xr models with no hubs. Also, the accelerators are cableless and if something goes wrong with it, you have to replace the whole system ($1000 for the part). Why not use cables? At least you can afford to fix it when it fails! Seems like planned obselescence to me.

Matrix AWD

Steve, 04/11/2008

This is my wife's car and she loves it. It is great around town, nimble, solid. She picked it mainly because of the hatchback and fold flat rear seats which are very nice. Great for golf clubs. Now has 25K miles and we did have a check engine light that required replacement of an oxygen sensor under warranty. One thing that I consider a defect was the factory tires. The front left tire wore on one side enough to require replacement after only 15K miles!!! Of course they wouldn't honor anything since they were not rotated every 5K miles. Replaced all 4 tires and had the front end aligned and it was very close to in specs so don't know what caused the tire wear.

2006 Matrix XR Manual-Front Wheel Drive

acf, 07/22/2010

Bought new to replace a 1992 Tercel and accommodating a rear facing car seat. Bought the 5-speed because the automatic seemed sluggish. Back area is great for a dog. The performance of the front wheel drive (even with snow tires) is not stellar. I now live at the top of a hill in upstate NY and wish I bought the AWD. Great commuter car which gets > 30mpg on the highway. Comfortable enough for long trips. I would buy another (albeit in AWD).

No rear a/c and poor driveability

smezbryant, 05/22/2009

No fun to drive! Plenty peppy for 4 cyl, but handling isn't fun. I got the base model which was a mistake--it didn't have basic safety like ABS or side curtain airbags. It's super cute on the outside, has good room in the backseat. Front cup holders are too skinny for most drinks.

longest car ever owned

MWhite, 09/04/2018
XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The sheer reliability of this little car is the best reason to own it. We bought it in 2006 and just traded it in a few days ago. No major problems, low maintenance cost, it never let me down!

Converted my Base Model Matrix

Jimmy, 04/09/2017
4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car last year from an owner in Irvine, CA. It was bone stock, I didn't like the way it looked because it's a base model. The car did not come with rocker panels, rear bumper nor front bumper lip. I want to give a shoutout to Toyota for "prewiring" this car, meaning all modifications can be installed because there are wires hidden inside the chassis. You just have to find them. I was able to install OEM power mirrors, cruise control on my steering wheel, fog lights, and the 115v inverter. Really happy that finding parts was not a difficult task because the Matrix shares OEM parts with the Pontiac Vibe and the 9th gen Corollas. If you guys have any questions or want to know more about installations for this car, please join our "Toyota Matrix Enthusiasts/Owners page" on Facebook! Thanks for reading! 10/9/17, So here's an *UPDATE* on what I did to my Matrix. I replaced the stock suspension with lowering springs from Progress (drops 2.2 F and 2.2 R), bought a rear bumper with spoilers and rocker panels from a crashed XR, replaced the clear tail lights with the 03-04 OEM Red tail lights, OEM mudguards, and a Rhino Roof Rack. There's so much more I want to do on this car but I have to learn to save money before spending. Next installation: 03-04 XR front bumper.

An Excellent Car with some flaws

Jay, 10/13/2018
4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Matrix with 4WD from a dealership that purchased it from the original owner. The car had about 60k miles on it when I bought it and over the course of 4-years, and ending up selling it with just shy of 200k miles. I rated it 4-stars, but would have rated it 4.5 stars if that were possible on this site. The car was incredibly reliable the entire time I owned it, only needing to do standard maintenance and repairs the entire time (brakes, oil, fluids, one battery replacement, and tires). The only mechanical issue I has was a defective wheel baring that made a terrible noise when I drove it, but I ended up forgoing this repair and selling it as is with this issue. I also replaced the radio which started having issues as well. But outside that everything worked great the entire time I owned the car. My main issue with this car is how underpowered it felt. I always had issues merging into traffic with it due to poor acceleration. The car really struggled to maintain its speed over 80mph, especially if there was any sort of incline. I feel like if this car had an extra 30HP it would have gone a long way in resolving this issue. My other complaint involves the 4WD system which didn't feel as grippy and stable in slippery situations as it should for having 4WD, but it still did never well in snow and rain. Other than that, this was one of the best cars I ever owned and only sold it to upgrade to a new car. I'd highly recommend this car!

I Love My Matrix

Heather, 08/01/2008

I bought my Matrix Certified Used from my local Toyota dealer almost a year ago and I am loving my Matrix! The cargo room is awesome (we like to fold down the back seats and sleep in there on camping trips) I have been so thankful to have the cargo room because I have needed it many times! The gas mileage is AMAZING! It has plenty of pep but as other reviewers mention a little more power would be nice at times. I think the new 2009 model is cool looking but after taking a look at the dealer I think I like my 2006 better, the new one seems like they got cheap with the materials a bit. The nice shiny gauge and stereo display are now a faux silver plastic, and overall it does not seem as solid

Matrix Driver

flmthgrl, 01/10/2010

Great little car, handles well in snow. fun to drive, but can be a bit of a noisy ride. Wish AWD version got better mileage. Even though this car is small, it is very adaptable with fold-down seats, hatchback etc.

The zippiest little Toyota!

John Appleton, 12/27/2016
XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We have a 2006 Toyota Matrix XRS. It is a rare trim of Matrix, not a lot were built. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned. We have the 6 speed manual, because it is just simply more fun in the XRS. We have done 0-60 m.p.h. in 6.5 seconds! That's crazy fast for this kind of car. My only complaint is the rear seat cushion comfort. Not bad but not the best. Front are amazing. Maybe a leather option ? Great car!!

In the Matrix

86Ciara, 07/01/2008

I love this car. For a 4 cylinder this car is smashing!! For some reason this car just likes to go fast. Got a speeding ticket doing 97 mph :0 & no the paint did not peel off while I was re-entering the atmosphere. Steep upgrades not a problem just flip the OverDrive button and you're climbing!! I keep up with regular oil changes & maintenance to keep my baby running smooth.

GR8 little Matrix

QuickDeuce, 12/26/2008

BUY IT ! We have owned ours since new. 38k now, avg 28 to 30mpg depends on city/hwy. Maint costs? Oil and regular sched. maint. is the only $$ we've spent. The Matrix is well built, dependable as a Toyota is supposed to be. Drives like a little sports car. Absolutely loves snow and adverse roads. Ease of getting into and out of the Matrix are among the #1 reasons we chose ours. Handy instrument arrangements and excellent visibility for lane changes. There are a number who say the little Matrix is terribly underpowered, well - we think not. How often do we need to exceed 75 mph ? Do we need to accelerate to fwy speeds quickly? Yup - and the Matrix gets that done with ease.

Excellent Car

Excellent Car, 09/07/2009

This is an exceptional vehicle from the outside styling to the inside floor plan. Easy to carry 4 big adults including height. We take our car on the road and what a wonderful way to travel, easy to carry your luggage with the seats down and a clothes rod in the back. Recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for simple, quality and a good investment.

Good Mule on Wheels

RichT, 11/29/2009

I have enjoyed driving and owning this Matrix as my driving needs are constantly evolving. It handles the highway and the city with a flexible response, plus it averages nothing less than 30mpg in mixed driving conditions. It has good room for 4 large adults and with the seats folded down, it can haul 30 cases of beer. Having driven it in the snow and bad weather, it never fails or complains.

Here we go Indigo.

Charpaints, 09/28/2005

As an artist in a major metropolitan city this little car is the one for me. It is zippy in traffic, holds a fair amount of cargo and is affordable to own. It is easy to load and unload. The higher seats offer a more comfortable enter and exit to and from the car especially for older passengers. Gas mileage is terrific. The instumentation takes a little getting used to but afterwards is very easy to use and see. A few of the plastic handles on the seat adjusters feel temporary and have come off.

2006 XR, stick shift

Steve_Price, 05/25/2006

Fun to drive, holds an unbelievable amount of stuff, sips gasoline. I haven't liked a new car this much since my 1965 Dodge Dart GT.

Best car I ever bought for the money!

greg oloskey, 03/20/2016
XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

PLENTY of room, great gas mileage, extremely dependable! Nice looking.

Owned for 14 years

Keeza, 08/11/2019
XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Been driving this little car for 14 years now, it's got 140000 miles on it when I am writing this review. Never had a single problem with it to date, always get oil changed on time, new tires and rotation when needed and good to go! Best car I've ever had!

Best Car Ever!!!!!!!!!!

Diane, 04/25/2018
4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love everything about my Pontiac Vibe! Has never given me a day of trouble. I religiously change the oil at 3,000 miles and all filters when needed. I have now 167,000 miles on this car. I brought it in for an oil change and mechanic asked if I wanted a tune up. I said you can check it. The result was, he said it didn't need one, the engine never skipped a beat. I changed the front rotors at 100,000 miles! Dropped a cheap battery in since it was new. I will be changing the muffler soon. That's it! It just keeps running like new. I love this car. Anyone complains about the drivability and acceleration are malcontents. What do they think its supposed to be a race car. The body has also held up well and it has never been garage kept. Can't beat this car!

Fun, Comfortable & no problems in 4years

Zach, 10/22/2009

I have had this car for 4 years and haven't had a single problem with it! I bought it brand new when got tired of investing too much money into a 93 Ford Explorer that was going downhill. Toyota's MPG ratings are right on. I never get less than 25mpg around town and on the freeway I get 32mpg. This car is great for traveling and road trips. The cargo space is wonderful too. I play music and needed to fit my 2 bass cabs, amp and guitars into the car and they fit just fine. My buddy bought a Matrix cause he needed a new car and liked the roomy-ness (he is 6'4", 250lbs+). He fits his whole drum set and monster keyboard in his!

A Really Good Car!

Laurie, 11/03/2009

I have a manual XR & it easily gets 34 mpg city & 41 + on hwy. With the back seats down, it sure can haul a lot of stuff. I think this car is under-rated. I've not had a lick of major trouble, just usual mtce & oil changes, etc.

Great Car No Matter What Your Size!

1217trees, 02/07/2008

I have owned my Matrix for 2 years now. I love it. I am 5'2" and fit very comfortably and my son who is 6'6" has plenty of leg room and head clearance! This vehicle is so reliable and fun to drive. Love this car!

The Car is Fun!

keepinon, 08/26/2005

Have driven my 05 Matrix xr for 3 months, and about 3300 miles. I really enjoy it. The wife and I golf quite a bit in the warmer weather. The car converts to a golf club hauler very quickly and easily. It handles very nimbly. On a recent 600 mile trip of some city, mostly highway driving, with quite a load of luggage and clubs, we got 33 mpg. Front seats are very comfortable for two average sized adults. Loading, unloading is easy with access through five doors + glass hatch door. Parking lots are quite easy to handle. The spaces seem to have grown! I will be curious about winter handling.

Perfect balance between car and SUV

Mike, 08/28/2005

The Matrix is a great car. It's comfortable, roomy, and stylish. Folding down the rear seats creates a very roomy cargo space. The rear window opens upward, allowing long items to easily extend out the back. The seats are comfortable, the dashboard is futuristic. My passengers report plenty of legroom. Lot's of little features like a flat-folding passenger seat and an 'ordinary' AC outlet add up. I like it so much that when my '03 Matrix was totalled in an accident, I went out and bought an '06.

The Right One

sunrrrrise, 08/29/2005

Purchased a Matrix after several test drives replacing an 02 Acura RSX. The The Matrix for 2006 has a sporty, fun ride, and versatile interior design with plenty of headroom for those over six footers. The air conditioning cooled quickly in todays 112 heat and the engine still had plenty of zip.Will use the Matrix for in town commuting and trips to Vegas. My friend, a BMW owner, stated that his Matrix was just as fun to drive as his Bemer.So there you have it.

brand new vehicle

cballou, 09/14/2005

This is a brand new vehicle. It could use a case for sunglasses like the tundra, moulding on the outside of the car to prevent dings from other cars opening their doors and I would have preferred the shifter on the column to allow for more leg room, aside from that, it holds my 300lb frame comfortably and gets great mileage.

I love my Matrix

Kalindrome, 10/28/2005

The Matrix has worked out very well for me. I live in Los Angeles, and use the Matrix to commute daily from work. I have owned the matrix for about a year and a half, and have not had a single problem since I purchased it. It is reliable, comfortable, practical, and stylish. I couldn't ask for much more.

Best AWD buy

Mary Bethany Collins, 11/05/2005

I live in the Berkshire Mountains (read mega snow and ice). This car, with all season radials, although packed in with snow from the plow, drives out like it was summer. What a delight. Add to that great gas mileage, space for luggage for a long trip and my huge German Shepherd, all the bells and whistles one could want (auto key, air, cruise, etc)--all for under $19,000--who could ask for more? And a Toyota to boot--I could find no better car on the road for reliability and long-term value, and I did my homework.

No regrets!!

terry jenkins, 12/24/2005

The handling is precise, the engine responds well. I will buy a k&n filter soon to improve gas mileage and horse power the 5 speed is a blast to drive ! If the reliablity is typical Toyota then 200k from now I will still be smiling!!

I LOVE this car!

ohwise1, 12/25/2005

Got the stability & traction control [had to wait 3 months for car], handles like a dream. 4" of snow fell not long after picking it up, no problems on hilly back roads. Nimble & stable, seats more supportive than ones in Camry I traded in, noise no worse either. No problem merging onto highways into traffic going over 60mph. Display lights need to be set up/down for night/day but that takes about a second, no big deal. Good gas mileage, good ride, lots of space, good little car. If you know how to drive, it will get up and go when needed. I got the auto but actually like the throaty growl it makes going up through the gears.

Great to Own, drive, and Practical

donger, 04/21/2006

I owned a porsche 911sc and this thing is nearly as fun to drive but unlike the 911 you can drive it with 4 passengers and all their luggage. This car does everthing you want it to do, it can be a mule and a racehorse all at the same time. I looked at a lot of cars (civic Si, Impreza, mazda 3s) and this was the best in nearly every category; passenger space, speed and handling, reliability (can't beat the japanese), looks. If you are in the market for a car like this you HAVE to drive the matrix to make a fully informed decision. I drove my XRS across the country last summer(CA to PA), through 104 heat, rain for 12 hours at a time and my back wasn't sore and the car never missed a step.

The Matrix

Chantel, 05/09/2006

I absolutely love this car! It's my 3rd car, 2nd toyota. Reliability is awesome, gas mileage is as good as can be expected, low on inner city stop/go, great hwy. It's comfortable, great radius and handling on curves/bad weather. So much room-left the east coast for the west and all I took was my car and the stuff I fit inside-it was great! Also a great outdoors car-who needs a tent, when the seat recline w/so much room. I feel like a commercial, but I love it and everyone who drives it also loves it in the end, even if they're skeptical at first. You get the space, without giving up the sport. I cannot find any major faults-boo to those who find superficial gripes.

Bought two!

cycler, 05/24/2006

My wife and I bought an '06 Matrix XR in late March. We liked it so much, we bought a second one a week ago. We have three Collies and the Matrix is ideal for transporting them ... room to spare with the rear seats down. We really cannot think of anything we don't like about the Matrix. I've seen comments about cheap interior, but it all looks fine to me. Everything fits and there are no sqeaks or rattles. My wife and I both feel that they are not noisy at highway speeds. They also seem to have more than adequate acceleration. Fuel economy falls right in line with the EPA estimates. I'd recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a small versatile vehicle.

Love My Matrix!

Lynne Richards, 06/03/2006

I just traded in my 04 Mustang for an 06 Matrix. This is my first Toyota and I absolutely love my Matrix! The gas mileage is fantastic. I love everything about it. The only small and I do mean small complaint is the engine bogging down when the air conditioning is on and slows the acceleration rate. Other than that absolutely no complaints whatsoever!

More car for the money

giltro, 06/03/2006

Big guy in a little car, yeah right! This car is deceiving, truly has enough room for a 5'11 driver who weighs 275 lbs. Sporty and be ready to get some stares as you drive through town. It's just a great feeling!

jimmydog, 09/07/2005

A good car. Will pass when I want too. has room for my long legs and large frame. mileage is in the high thirtys and above all has room in back for a big labrador retriever.

Love it.

Eddsmetz, 11/22/2005

I just purchased a 2006 Matrix XR. I love it. A great deal of interior room. Enough get up and go to get me places. Oh yeah, the gas mileage is fantastic!!!! I highly recommend this car. I could not be happier, okay, if it was free maybe.

Good performance for the price

Bob, 05/01/2006

I downsized to this car from a van. This car has ample room, plenty of zip, and handles well on the road. This car was a excellent surprise to me.

Toyota Mavin

Penni, 05/12/2006

The Matrix is one of the most fun vehicles I have owned. It is quiet, peppy in town, smooth riding, and response handling. My model is a loaded XR front wheel drive with the side spoilers in Phantom Gray Pearl. The six-disc radio has wonderful sound. Even my dog loves the car - she begs to go for rides. Gas mileage is a little lower than I expected, but I am averaging 24 mpg in town and 32 mpg on the highway with an automatic transmission. I just added the sunroof deflector - a good improvement with the sunroof open.

Great versatile car

Matt_B, 05/16/2006

This car rides great and is comfortable around town. It has plenty of room (headroom is great without the sunroof) and I am 6'4" 230lbs. The fuel economy is excellent. We just bought the car so I can't comment on durability etc. Maybe I will in another 5 years. If you are looking for a fuel efficient vehicle that is very practical and roomy look no further.

Great car at a fantastic price

Dale, 08/31/2006

We were amazed at how much space there actually is in the Matrix. We used to camp with a pop-up trailer and our Nissan Quest. Since the Matrix isn't really a vehicle for towing we've downsized to camping with a tent. Well, going from a trailer with the room inside the van for packing was something we were worried about. But the Matrix actually has a LOT of room inside. We managed a couple trips so far and it's been great! We took it on a trip from NY to KY to WV and back to NY and it performed very well in the mountains and on the highways. We definitely feel we have gotten a good buy for a great price on a fantastic car!

Don's Review

Zoobiezoo, 09/21/2006

The car rides so smooth. the seats are very comfortable, and the interior is very roomy. The exterior stlying is really nice, and the color Cosmic Blue is the greatest. The Dealer is very accommodating, and I feel like I'm the only person who has ever bought a car there.

Very happy with purchase

terry, 02/27/2007

We have had the matrix now for over about 1.5 years and she has performed beautifully. 17k miles and not one trip back to the dealership. Gas mileage is 35 combined. the manual is fun to drive and has good acceleration. I bought this for my wife, but I admit that I enjoy driving it every now and then when I want to give my truck a rest.

Toyota Matrix Do or Don't

Trish, 06/24/2019
4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A Toyota Matrix is an amazing car as we owned one before. We bought this one a couple years newer.

Must have picked the lemon

chosepoorly, 04/18/2009

Bought the car new and am a very careful owner. My last car, a Chevy housed outside in the elements, was 12 years old when I traded it in with very little problems. After 2 years, the fuel pump went. After 2 1/2 years, electrical system and sensors failed. Just after the warranty expired, multiple systems failed, requiring a new battery and $400 worth of repairs. I have to drive long distances for my new job and have to trade it because I don't know when or where it will fail next. Disappointing, considering Toyota's supposed quality.

Do Not buy it, if you are a highway crusier

path, 04/18/2006

This car is OK for local driving, and it can haul stuff from Ikea when back seats folded down. It is quick from 0-30, and is quite slow beyond that. So, plan ahead when merging into busy highway. MPG has been bad so far with 15K mikes, 20 for city and 27-31 on highway at 80 mph. The biggest problem is noise. Annoying at 65mph, and unbearable at 80 mph. It takes many hours to recover from dizziness after 2-3 hours' driving. I recently found a trick to deal with the noise - ear plugs, inspired by a coworker who works in a room with 2-3 hard working pumps used to create near absolute zero (0K) temperature.

51050