Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Practical and Functional
By Seth

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2001 Celica for this, mainly because I wanted something with more utility while maintaining the fuel economy I had become accustomed to. Engine is weak in low revs, better as they build, and the transmission upshifts way too soon when merging or passing. The interior makes this car worth owning, for sheer cargo space, you'd be hard pressed to find something this light and economical with this much space. Handles well. I'd gladly buy the upcoming replacement, as long as it gets more grunt, a better transmission, and disc brakes in the rear. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone, knowing that my only hang-ups are its lack of sportiness.

Continental tires (on alloys), cargo space, fuel economy, styling, decent base stereo, build quality (particularly the leather steering wheel).

Needs a 5th gear and a transmission that doesn't upshift at horrible moments, paid extra for ABS, needs disc brakes around, needs a more powerful engine (something to compete with VW's GTI or MazdaSpeed3), iPod adapter, optional leather interior, better cruise control

Great utility vehicle
By pete

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We are happy with the car but did have an electronic component plug come loose after one week that cut the power to most of the car. After repair there has been no reoccurrence.

The XR auto gets 30.6 mpg overall. Comfortable and with one rear seat folded down it was easy to bring home a 42" tv standing upright. Would not have fit in a hatchback.

Tires! Replaced Continental tires after 14000 miles due to cupping. Tires became noisy and the steering wheel started to move back and forth after 8k miles. Watch closely and return before 12000 miles if you have the Continentals. 2007 models now have Goodyears.

22k Miles and Still Loving my Matrix
By mst3kzz

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Was deciding between the Vibe, Mazda3, Mazda6, Passat, and Matrix. Decided on the Vibe/Passat based on price, gas mileage and test drives, then chose the Matrix because I started to prefer its style over the Vibe. Love the Matrix, kicks the crap out of my old '99 Chevy Metro which got a little better MPG, had no acceleration, but was a great college car (cheap and reliable). Love the storage space. I have been keeping a complete record of the gas mileage since I got the car and it gets an average of 28 MPG (the way I drive), but is capable of getting up to 33 MPG (if you drive really efficiently).

Seat height adjustment, the storage compartments, 60/40 seat folding, cargo nets.

A CD-player that can read MP3 CDs would be nice (maybe that was an option I didn't see though). Better starter tires! Mine came with Continentals and I already need new ones at 22k miles because of cupping.

Get One Before They're Gone
By Paradoxfalls

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love the 2006 Toyota Matrix. It's a well-built, peppy, fuel economic car that's fun to drive. The only problem we have with it is that the small rear windows (hatch and behind the doors) create bigger blind spots, but once you get to know the car, it's not so bad. My husband and I bought this car after our 2005 Matrix was totaled. A speeding drunk driver jumped a sloped median, landing his Jeep Cherokee V8 on the hood of our Matrix, then flipped over and crushed part of our roof. My husband and I were injured, but WE WALKED AWAY, vowing to buy another Matrix since that one saved our lives. I heard that the Matrix may be replaced in Toyota's line-up, so get one while you can!

6-disc CD changer, sun/moon roof, great turning radius, decent amount of pep, instrument panel laid out nicely, storage for everything, you actually sit a little taller than in most cars so there's a better view of the road, handles nicely around tight turns, (proven) safety features.

Windows in back could be bigger and the detachable rear headrests further decrease visibility until you're used to the car. Sidenote: airbag gas (all cars) smells like burning plastic. No one mentions this and people in crashes have actually made their injuries worse trying to get away from a "fire".

Matrix Review
By payultr

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Comfortable to drive and well laid out on the interior. Very spacious when the back seat is folded down. MPG is excellent, I average 40 mpg on long trips!!

Driver's seat is able to lift up so short people can have a better line of vision. Passenger seat folds forward and lays completly flat. Of course I love the extras: 6 cd stereo, sun roof, alloy whels, ABS brakes.

Glove compartment is too small to hold the book w/the owners manual. The little compartments are cheap plastic and fall apart when you try to use them.