Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Great Car No Matter What Your Size!
By 1217trees

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Matrix for 2 years now. I love it. I am 5'2" and fit very comfortably and my son who is 6'6" has plenty of leg room and head clearance! This vehicle is so reliable and fun to drive. Love this car!

Toy
By David Clawson

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Have driven car approx. 10,000 miles since purchase and really enjoy driving it. My wife is main driver using it mostly going to and from work. She really appreciates the gas mileage and pep getting through traffic.We also use this car for trips for the above reasons.

Mileage.

Can't think of any.

Great car
By frst toyota

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Toyota, but it won't be my last. This is a fun little car that is nimble and fun to drive. The AWD is a must here in the mountains and this car gets great mileage also. There is good visibility from the driver's seat and good take-off from the little four. The a/c works well enough to keep everyone cool. We love this little wagon.

AWD, stereo, automatic transmission.

A little more torque, but not at the expense of gas mileage.

Money well spent.
By kayeed44

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Handles well even at my normal cruising speed of 65. My wife and I are both happy about the lack of excessive engine noise, even at 70 mph. Gas mileage averages 30+ in overall driving. A little slippage on snow and ice but I think it's because of the standard "Continental" tires.

Versatile seating and carrying capacity, peppy enough to pass, OK fuel efficiency and reliable.

Would like to see a flat face instrument console cause cleaning the individual circles is stupid. I'm 5'10 and would like another inch upward play in the steering wheel. How about a standard travel bar for hanging clothes. Rear bumper paint scrapes from normal unloading is not up to Toyota standard.

Practical and Functional
By Seth

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2001 Celica for this, mainly because I wanted something with more utility while maintaining the fuel economy I had become accustomed to. Engine is weak in low revs, better as they build, and the transmission upshifts way too soon when merging or passing. The interior makes this car worth owning, for sheer cargo space, you'd be hard pressed to find something this light and economical with this much space. Handles well. I'd gladly buy the upcoming replacement, as long as it gets more grunt, a better transmission, and disc brakes in the rear. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone, knowing that my only hang-ups are its lack of sportiness.

Continental tires (on alloys), cargo space, fuel economy, styling, decent base stereo, build quality (particularly the leather steering wheel).

Needs a 5th gear and a transmission that doesn't upshift at horrible moments, paid extra for ABS, needs disc brakes around, needs a more powerful engine (something to compete with VW's GTI or MazdaSpeed3), iPod adapter, optional leather interior, better cruise control