Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

A Really Good Car!
By Laurie

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a manual XR & it easily gets 34 mpg city & 41 + on hwy. With the back seats down, it sure can haul a lot of stuff. I think this car is under-rated. I've not had a lick of major trouble, just usual mtce & oil changes, etc.

Fun, Comfortable & no problems in 4years
By Zach

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 4 years and haven't had a single problem with it! I bought it brand new when got tired of investing too much money into a 93 Ford Explorer that was going downhill. Toyota's MPG ratings are right on. I never get less than 25mpg around town and on the freeway I get 32mpg. This car is great for traveling and road trips. The cargo space is wonderful too. I play music and needed to fit my 2 bass cabs, amp and guitars into the car and they fit just fine. My buddy bought a Matrix cause he needed a new car and liked the roomy-ness (he is 6'4", 250lbs+). He fits his whole drum set and monster keyboard in his!

Love the amount of space inside the cabin. When the back seats are folded down you can fit nearly anything back there. Also, the driver seat adjustable height feature is amazing. It handles uphill driving just fine for only having about 135hp. Never even gets close to overheating.

I don't think you could improve this '06 model much more design-wise. I can't believe they made these cars smaller in the '08 models. I personally think that is a backwards move for Toyota. 03-07's all the way for me!

Excellent Car
By Excellent Car

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is an exceptional vehicle from the outside styling to the inside floor plan. Easy to carry 4 big adults including height. We take our car on the road and what a wonderful way to travel, easy to carry your luggage with the seats down and a clothes rod in the back. Recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for simple, quality and a good investment.

Fold down seats; roomy interior; ride; color; quiet ride; we added leather seats and what a huge difference it made in the comfort of the seating, beautiful car.

The coin holders are not tight enough so the quarters rattle; the cup holder is very poorly placed; takes a while to heat up in the winter.

No rear a/c and poor driveability
By smezbryant

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

No fun to drive! Plenty peppy for 4 cyl, but handling isn't fun. I got the base model which was a mistake--it didn't have basic safety like ABS or side curtain airbags. It's super cute on the outside, has good room in the backseat. Front cup holders are too skinny for most drinks.

I like that it's the wagon version of the Corolla. Cute. Better made than the Honda Fit. Cargo bigger than Fit and Versa. Like the hatchback. Back seat is very roomy. Has been completely reliable.

Needs rear A/C. Kids are boiling in back seat. Doesn't even have vents under the front seats. Not fun to drive. Only get 25 mpg freeway (driving fast and up and down 2500 ft per day).

Good Workhorse
By Jordan

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this car for one month. Love it. I'm a mobile computer service tech, it's great for my job. I've put 4k miles. Previous owner drove it 28k mi/yr (now has 84k mi on it). Drives/ looks new. Stores and accesses tools/equip. easily. I like the independent window and door hatches in back. Very roomy. Slept in back area seats folded down. 110volt power is handy for laptop. I just happen to have front ABS brakes with upgraded Toyota TRD pads and rotors (slotted and drilled). EXCELLENT STOPPING POWER!!! I live in CA and it's saved me multiple times. My '97 accord did not stop like this. Also, if you want, this car can tow a 1,500lb. trailer, but haven't tried it. Might be kinda slow.

Economy, electric outlet, space, comfort, BRAKES!! (but get the optional toyota TRD upgrade with ABS).

When cruising, tranny downshifts from 4th to 3rd at the slightest aceleration (Rather annyoing, feel silly with overdrive off at 65 mph). Also, the system forces auto headlights when dark out. Cannot turn off headlights with engine running. 110volt outlets only 100w. Engine vibrates rearview mirror.