Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

2006 Matrix XR Manual-Front Wheel Drive
By acf

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new to replace a 1992 Tercel and accommodating a rear facing car seat. Bought the 5-speed because the automatic seemed sluggish. Back area is great for a dog. The performance of the front wheel drive (even with snow tires) is not stellar. I now live at the top of a hill in upstate NY and wish I bought the AWD. Great commuter car which gets > 30mpg on the highway. Comfortable enough for long trips. I would buy another (albeit in AWD).

Excellent Gas Mileage, Lots of room, Fun to drive. This car does exactly what it is supposed to do; it gets you and a bunch of stuff from point A to point B in a value-minded and reliable fashion.

Seat fabric is low quality. Rattle in passenger seat (interior is overall low quality). Lots of wasted space in the gauges.

Good All Around Car
By Landric

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 06. I traded my 02 Mazda Protege ES in on it when the Mazda had 115000 miles (trouble free). I got the automatic because I was living in a high traffic volume area where its less fun to drive a manual. I got the base model with power windows and locks, keyless entry, cruise, etc. Its a great looking car with lots of interior space and a mostly well thought out interior. Ride is smooth, nice driving position, clear gauges, etc. I'm at 90k now & I need to trade it on a minivan because I can't fit a rear facing child seat behind me & still have enough space to drive (twins!). The throttle body went at 70K (covered by extended warranty) and the CD died at 80k.

Styling, driving position, and lots of cargo space. I can fit my dresser in the back with the rear seats folded. The car has a smooth ride, and has been pretty reliable. Overall a good buy and very functional, if not exceptional, car.

Gas mileage was OK, but not fantastic. Average about 30 on the highway (sometimes a little better) and low 20's in town. I expected better from a 1.8 liter 4 cyl. Lack of safety features on the base model (ABS, side airbags). Not nearly as fun to drive as styling suggests, and the hubcaps go MIA.

i hate hub caps
By dangading

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Matrix going on 4 years now and although it's been really great, I have recently run into a couple of problems. For 1, it hasn't had hub caps for years! They fall off too easily. After reading this, I'm sure you'll see plenty of non xr models with no hubs. Also, the accelerators are cableless and if something goes wrong with it, you have to replace the whole system ($1000 for the part). Why not use cables? At least you can afford to fix it when it fails! Seems like planned obselescence to me.

good gas mileage and I can fit my drumset with ease.

hub caps that stay on and accelerator system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix.

Matrix Driver
By flmthgrl

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great little car, handles well in snow. fun to drive, but can be a bit of a noisy ride. Wish AWD version got better mileage. Even though this car is small, it is very adaptable with fold-down seats, hatchback etc.

cup holders, fold down rear seats, outlets. very roomy for a small car.

strengthen windshield, cut down on noise, automatic seats, retractable antenna, improve rear visibility

Good Mule on Wheels
By RichT

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed driving and owning this Matrix as my driving needs are constantly evolving. It handles the highway and the city with a flexible response, plus it averages nothing less than 30mpg in mixed driving conditions. It has good room for 4 large adults and with the seats folded down, it can haul 30 cases of beer. Having driven it in the snow and bad weather, it never fails or complains.

The car is rock solid at 80mph at 3k rpm and I like the headroom too. I also like the good gas mileage and the spacious feel it has.

More comfortable driving seats, like those in BMW or Saab. Also, 20 to 30 more horses under the hood would help too.