Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

LOVED it - but watch for SAFETY ratings
By Kathi

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I had my Matrix XR for almost a year. I loved it and had only two minor problems that needed fixing (plastic piece on underside broke and my key would sometimes stick in the ignition). However, my car was recently totaled in a low impact (only about 15 mph) accident at a four-way stop intersection where the other car (a Jeep Wrangler) decided to proceed into the intersection after I was already halfway through. He hit my passenger side at a relatively low speed. However the damage to the side of my car was pretty extensive, mostly in the front passenger seat. I thank God my kiddos weren't in the car! Just watch the ratings and get side impact airbags if at all possible.

I love the overall look of the Matrix. I really enjoyed the moonroof. This car was easy to drive and really easy to park in small places.

Bring the safety ratings up. Make side curtain airbags standard, not an option. Reinforce the side impact beams more.

Very happy with purchase
By terry

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have had the matrix now for over about 1.5 years and she has performed beautifully. 17k miles and not one trip back to the dealership. Gas mileage is 35 combined. the manual is fun to drive and has good acceleration. I bought this for my wife, but I admit that I enjoy driving it every now and then when I want to give my truck a rest.

Manual shift, and gas mileage. Toyota quality!!

Offer a hybrid version that gets 50 mpg and has more torque and you will have a blue ribbon winner!!

All around great car
By Pasta

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

As the title states... Bought the car for its mileage, dependability, and versatility. I'm a handy-man so hauling wood and other building materials is a fairly common occurrence for me. I also MTB ride often and being able to throw the bike and gear in the back or several on a rack for long trips with friends is also common. This car handles ALL of that with grace. The manual transmission is good. Shifting is positive, short throws. Acceleration is more than adequate. It's not a sports car (for 15 years, my previous car). You're in the wrong price range and class if you are expecting that type of handling and performance. Even still, the Matrix performs very well.

Interior versatility and durability. The built-in tie-downs are a great feature. Comfort. Mileage.

One-touch down on ALL windows. I've only seen VWs offer this feature. My Jetta had it. Loved it. Otherwise, excellent car.

2006 Matrix 5spd
By shartman

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I truly expected more out of this 18,000 dollar vehicle. It is very roomy, good on gas and is a pretty color. That is about all I can say. I have had no major problems with it. The stereo sounds terrible. And the hydraulics that open the hatch don't work well. I have to push it up. I really expected more out of this Toyota. I also have to mention it runs like a car that is 6 or 8 years old. It idles very hard and rough for only having like 11,000 miles on it. Not what I expected!

The roominess and storage space and of course the MPG!

The radio! It's awful!! And put better hydraulic things to open the hatch in.

Love my Matrix
By wayne kaczowski

2006 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I previously had a 2005 Matrix. The dealership enticed me to stop by and consider a trade in. And I did. My first Matrix XR was the dark shadow grey. Now I have the dark blue which is really beautiful. I recommend the Matrix to anyone who wants a roomy car both in the front and rear seating areas. Lots of head room and leg room. I am 6 feet tall and these were 2 important factors. Plus I get an average of 30 MPG.

Sporty gauges on dashboard. Rides smoothly. Leg room and headroom. Rear hatchback compartment has plenty of room. Engine has great power and torque for a 1.8 litre.