Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

This is our LAST Toyota
By Nita

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We've always owned Toyotas, but the flimsy interior and easily scratchable exterior have convinced me to look elsewhere. I hate the plastic in the cargo area because it cracks and breaks. Our '89 Corolla looked much better inside and out after 16 years than this hunk of cheap junk does after 3 years. Toyota should be ashamed of itself for making this crummy product. I also dislike the engine hesitation, the whistling wind from the closed front passenger window, and the way the electronic window controls broke for no discernible reason.

I bought the Matrix for its high driver seat because of my bad back, and that is the only thing I like about this car.

Use exterior paint that has the toughness of earlier model Toyotas. Replace the cheap flimsy interior plastic with durable material that doesn't scratch and break. And please give us back those great black rubber bumpers of the 1980s.

2005 toyota matrix ( caa)
By clay adams

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Interior road noise, brakes squeak, brake pads wear out. Outside mirrors are a little too small. Seats are a little too low sitting

Gas mileage, small size, radio, long distance driving comfort, looks.

Larger outside mirrors, larger visors.

Good little car
By Mike St-Pierre

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car, only a couple small complaints. The fan belt squeaks in damp weather (replaced it twice). And the rear tires seem to wear down very fast. Very easy to get in or out,large cargo area. Fuel mileage not too bad. Getting about 33 mpg on highway.

Ease of entry & exit, large cargo area, back seats have plenty of headroom, stereo rocks!!

Fuel mileage for the automatics could be improved, snow gets in on top of the rear hatch which makes it hard to open all the way.

XRS-2ZZ-GE
By Guy Hence

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Yamaha built engine in this car is terrific! Same as the expensive Lotus Elise and Exige! The XRS handles well and gets good mileage. Service is simple and low cost. This is a great car that's well built.

Engine.

Improved horsepower for more low end torque.

I love my Matrix!
By WeatheringC

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had a little Honda before I bought my Matrix. When it came time to purchase a new car I had a tall list of things I wanted. I wanted to get my skis in the back, the ability load it up and haul things, and great gas mileage was essential since I was making an 800 mile round trip at least once a month. The Matrix was the only car to satisfy all those needs. I looked for a month before I found a hard to find used Matrix in my area! As soon as I test drove it I knew it was the car to get. The enginering of the interior is exceptional and makes it very versatile. I show it off to everyone. It's enginered well and the styling is classic. I love my Matrix!

Sliding hooks in the cargo area. I can strap anything down in back using the cargo straps or the cargo nets. I also love that the back is plastic lined. Makes it easy to clean. Oh! The sunroof is great too!

I would have liked to have power seats.