Used 2004 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 276 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Breaking in car - new discoveries
By pearlmomma

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought Matrix new. Have 21,000 mi on car today. Mostly city driving with occasional road trip. Beginning to see minor degradation on interior moving parts - the "cheap" is revealing itself. Out-of-control acceleration happened to me 2 times. The accelerator just slams to the floorboard and won't let up. The first time in 70+ mph traffic - the second time 45+ traffic. Terrified me. Panic! Had to yank emergency handle and turn car off. It is a real experience and the dealer can't explain. I think it's a defective chip in the master brain of some cars.

Great 6 CD player. Fun to drive for a grocery cart.

Windshield reflects dash. Weak A/C for size of interior. Loud road noise. Needs stock spoiler on rear for stability on highway/high wind. Lacks body integrity - cheap plastic parts.

145,000 & still going strong!!
By Chadwicked

2004 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got the car in late 2003 brand new. If you keep up with oil changes and tire rotations you'll be able to drive it forever. It's got well over 100,000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with it unless you refer to a headlight bulb and battery I had to change almost 5 years later, other than that, no complaints.

Moonroof has never leaked. Sound system is great, even better with the 12 I added. I didnt have to buy a new radio head with the after market add on the system jams great even with stock speakers for mids and highs. Gas mileage is awesome.

The 1.8 makes get up speed lag just a little but once it gets up there its got great boost. Even with the noise reduction pakage I got it still has some bad road noise. The seats are not at all something you want to sit in for a long period of time. The ride in itself is on the rough side.

Best car I have ever owned
By Mary Ellen Snyder

2004 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Matrix for almost 4 years and I can say that this is the first car I have ever considered keeping beyond 4 years. I am dismayed that they eliminated the AWD option as it has been super through several New England winters. I am a nurse who has to get to work no matter the weather and it has never let me down. The car is fun to drive and gets great mileage considering that it is an AWD small SUV. I have transported furniture and bikes and all sorts of luggage in it. I am a scrapbooker and can carry all of my "stuff" as well as that of a friend in it and have room to spare when we go away for scrapbooking weekends. I have never been attached to a car before this one. Love it!

Rides high, roomy, lots of cargo space, easy to access features, comfortable back seat, handles nimbly, great brakes.

Bring back AWD option! Would like variable speed wipers, no place to hang trash bag, cup holders not great, would like cargo cover to come down automatically with ability to disable it if needed, too much road noise.

Great Car!
By onehipteacher

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my matrix in August of 2003 when they were putting out the new 2004 models. I have loved my matrix since. It is great on gas and the look. When I first bought it, strangers on the street would look at the car and give me a thumbs up. I love the versatility of the seats. I have fit grown palm trees, a patio set, pool table, and other large items in my matrix with all the doors closed. You can't beat the quality of a Toyota. It has been almost 5 years with my car and no problems. I am thinking about trading it in for a bigger vehicle , but I don't think I can't. I love this car!

I love the versatility of the seats, the child seat anchors in the back, 6 cd stereo system, the look of the gages, and the great gas mileage!

better air conditioning for the back seat passengers because the vents are located in front and it does not circulate well.

2004 Matrix Owner is so so
By MatrixOwner2

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Sporty vehicle that we loved the look of. Great for short trips, errands, and hauling. Mileage good, but there is a paint issue with the hood that Toyota won't own up to (missing layers of paint after 2-years of ownership). Also, I agree the sound system is poor but what do you expect in this price range? Driver seat seems more comfy than passenger for long trips, uncomfortable for passenger. Basically a bit more attention to quality and they will perfect this model (maybe they have already). Bottle water holders in the door would be a great addition to this model. Nix the cheap backseat beverage holders.

Storage, sporty look, and mileage.

Even though auto lights are safer, it was nice to be able to "flash" lights at other drivers who did not have them on. Paint quality issue on hood never resolved (chipped many layers), bulb for the gear shift is out and we have no idea what to do. Make seats more comfortable. Improve sound sys.