Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 324 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Very versatile
By Thomas Howe

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car was a great all 'round vehicle. Had great power for a four banger. The power surge felt great after 600 RPMs, enabling the driver to pass lickety-split. The boxy design took getting used to, but grew to love it. The 6 speed tranny was notchy, but I grew accustomed to it. Very good gas mileage considering the power, lower 30s on road. Great reliability. Had a ton of room when back seat was down, and the back was easy to clean, 'cause it was plastic instead of carpeted. Seats very comfy, even on long trips. Only reason I got rid of it was because of high payments and I needed an AWD vehicle. Still miss it.

The engine, room, gas economy and versatility

The front spoiler was too lower. On more than one ocassion, it came partially off when it scraped a parking lot barrier. Fortunately it was cheap to put back on.

Matrix Rocks
By teebone

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I get lots of looks in this sporty car, and on my first long-distance trip (2400 miles) I got 40 MPG! It corners/handles well, has great brakes, and I was getting scratch in third gear at two years old. Amazing power for fast starts and getaways. I had seven Hondas before getting this Toyota, but I don't think I could go back to Honda. I had to replace the air filter located under the glove compartment, and debated about going to the dealer. However, it was only a few dollars and I was shocked!

Great gas mileage! I get 36 in town if I keep it below 40-45 mph or keep the RPM under 2000. I turn the A/C off when going up hills, and coast down long hills, and I coast around corners if possible. Visibility is great; I love the folding seats and leg room front n back. Air n heat work great, too.

Softer fabric material for the seats? This car is so nice and comfortable. I can't think of much I would improve. Maybe make it in a larger model, not much larger, but maybe wider and a teeny weeny bit longer. How's dat? =:o

Fun Car
By commuter515

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very fun car to drive, tons of room, lots of great features not found on comparable cars: the hatch glass opens independently of hatch, wall type outlet, auto sensing lights, passenger seat folds flat, etc. Great mpg, I commute 120 miles a day, all highway, I average 33 mpg at 70 mph. Acceleration stinks but this is not a sports car, it's a wagon. Like a car, it is not perfect - I currently have 130,000 miles, cat converter went bad at 120K, locks are starting to fail - they do not respond to keychain. AC condensation hose came loose under dash and passenger side carpet got soaked (everyone thought it was the sunroof but it wasn't). But still an awesome car.

Auto lights, open hatch glass, 120v outlet, pass. seat folds flat, stereo, looks.

Cat converter, door locks. engine sounds cheap and pingy.

Great multi-functional car
By Scotch

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! 4 cyl engine with plenty of passing power. Back seats and passenger seat fold down enough to haul nearly anything I've needed including a full sheet of plywood and other lumber. The only down side to the sport model is that it requires 93 octane gas, though, I get approx 28 mpg.

Fold down seats and cargo net for groceries.

Just the best!
By Jeff

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the the best vehicle I have ever owned. It was my first Toyota and that is all I will ever buy from now on. 180,000 miles on it and not a single problem. Nothing but brakes and spark plugs. The all wheel drive is amazing I live in Canada and it goes through the snow better than my 4x4 truck. Fuel is about 36 mpg highway. Great car!

All wheel drive and cargo space.

A little bigger engine would be nice. 2009 model comes with a 2.4 litre engine good improvment