Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews - 324 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

All around impressive
By DocG

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 55k miles on it 5 years ago, now with 107k. The only problems I ever had with it was the AC relay malfunctioning. With a quick jump on the internet reading about similar problems it was easily repaired with very little expense, the occasional wheel shaking and pulling corrected by an alignment. It gets great MPG, I average 29 city and 30-35 hwy. Decent power for a 1.8L. My wife of 4'11" has no difficulty driving or seeing out of. Lots of room, sporty look and feel with a classification code of a wagon(cheaper insurance). Very versatile, extremely reliable, good on long drives. A great all around vehicle. Perfect for first time drivers.

MPG, spacious interior, sporty looks, that cool little 120v outlet, auto lights and of course the reliability.

Raising the front spoiler by a couple of inches.

Missed the target, Toyota.
By eric

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Matrix and its sister car, the Pontiac Vibe, are based on the Corolla platform. I'll just summarize by saying that this car, in all trims but the XRS, is tragically underpowered, particularly with the automatic, which is the only transmission available with AWD versions. It's very Japanese. Noise, firm seats, terrible steering wheel angle, and abusive ride are the most noticeable detractions from what could have been a nice car. On the positive side, it fits lots of stuff inside, and sees tolerable fuel numbers. Keep in mind, folks, reliability is a part of quality of life. Consider comfort and usability when considering your next vehicle. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

110v AC outlet in-dash. Eliminates the need for bringing along an inverter. Downside, it's only two-prong. Otherwise, it's very usable.

The XRS makes lots more power, and for the tiny fuel economy difference, is worth the upgrade. AWD in the snow is a little squirrelly when the car is empty, and can be downright unruly when loaded with people and/or gear. Better proportioning would solve that. Steering needs more assist.

Poor Toyota support. Very poor traction.
By Will Keith

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2003 Matrix, only 58,454 km. Alternator dead. Car is past the 5 year warranty period. However, alternators - especially on Toyotas - should last longer than 58,454 km. Toyota Canada says replacing alternator not covered, even at this low mileage. Toyota suggested I pay a Toyota dealer to check the system officially, but admitted they likely won't help us out on this anyway. Replace with a rebuilt - not new - alternator is over $500. The fact that we have 5 Toyotas in our family didn't seem to matter: the person on the phone just kept reading from the policy manual.

Both our Matrix cars have terrible traction on snow and ice, even with front wheel drive and brand new Blizzak snow tires. The Matrix spun its wheels and got stuck when other cars could still go with no problem. For this reason I wouldn't buy a Matrix to drive in a Canadian winter.

Toyota seems to have gone the route of American car manufacturers: no pride in their work or products, certainly no standing behind their products when there is a glitch. For sure we won't be buying another Toyota.

Toyota is not reliable anymore!!!
By Julie

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Fantastic for the first 3 years. Fits a bunch of stuff, comfy to drive long distance, stylish, and great fuel economy. After 3 years our driver's side window totally broke, not related to the recall. Fixable, but only with a new door. We are living without working window. Then at 95,000 miles our engine blew a rod and needs to be totally replaced. WHAT!?!? Warranty only went to 60,000 miles and despite the fact that we maintained the car properly Toyota refuses to take responsibility for the bad build - acting like it is normal for cars to die this young. We expected to drive this for 250,000 miles based on reputation. Well, Toyota is bunk in our book. Honda here we come.

Air vents that you can turn 360 degrees to aim in any direction. Fuel economy. Spacious - great for hauling without the SUV size and price.

Put a decent engine in and support your customers! AC doesn't blow cold enough. Dash lights are bad. Driver's side window doesn't work.

Spoiler is very low
By Nutan Jha

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: I bought Toyota Matrix because of its hatchback feature to transport kids back and forth from their college dorm. It is roomy and has lots of space inside. Cons: The spoiler is too low and I always hit and scratch it during parking. Not only that the spoiler is just a clip on and it keeps popping out. I am very disappointed due to that. I was traveling on one of the busiest bridge in New York at night and I felt I drove on something, later when I stopped at a gas station I discovered that the right spoiler was missing and the left spoiler was hanging out. I had to stop at a gas station to tie a string to it.

Hopefully, Toyota has taken care of this low spoiler and clip on spoiler problem.