Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 324 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Advice
By ready

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am currently dealing with nightmare of the 2003 AWD Matrix. I do have a warranty. I am looking in to my rights under the lemon law. It seems to me that these cars are coming up with the same transmission problems and the transmission is different in the AWD then from other Matrix's that the trans is Faulty. And Toyota should be responsible. If anyone feels the same way or has any advice for me post on this forum ill be looking out. Thank you

It does haul things really well.

Do not buy a 2003 AWD!

No problems yet
By Scott

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car with 85,000 miles on it from the dealership almost 3 years ago. It now has 116,000-17,000 miles on it and i haven't had any issues yet. I keep up with all maintenance. She has never let me down yet, and I have a lot of future plans for her.

Overall I like just about everything about the car, it is comfortable, drives smoothly. I really like the 8200 rpm limit and the cam change over.

Improve lower end power/ torque (takeoffs) and smoothen out the shifts. It doesn't slip into gear nice and easily, you have to put a little muscle into it.

Not your parents Toyota
By Last Toyota

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was our first new car purchase, and given our extensive Toyota experience (5 previous used Toyotas), we were expecting much. The flexibility of a 64/40 fold-flat rear seat with solid plastic cargo liner was outstanding. So too was the fold-forward passenger seats, which extend the size of possible cargo to 8' in length! Unfortunately the other aspects of the car weren't panning out so well. To summarize, performance, economy, fit-and-finish, trouble free driving, and fun to drive quotients were just not living up to the claims. After repeated problems with MAP sensors and various parts breaking repeatedly, if fell out of love. Now 7 years old, I've seen enough of my last Toyota.

Cargo configuration and interior room are excellent. The split rear folds flat and has included cargo tie-down points. This car can move an incredible amount of stuff.

Poor build quality: Exterior door handles break off regularly (common problem, try a web search). 3 MAP sensors replaced under warranty. Cheap interior trim, painted parts scratch easily, other parts fall off. Stereo died at 3 years. Anemic acceleration with 30% less mileage than claimed.

fun and practical
By AJ

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had this car for two years now. im pushing 100,000 miles. my dad bought this car and then i bought it from him. we have never had a single mechanical failure. this car has been in 8 accidents and will refuse to be totaled. the best part is the fuel economy mixed with the fun to drive factor. its low to the ground with stiff independent front and rear suspension. its almost too low though. ive scraped on anything from parking blocks to speed bumps. Very fun to drive and very upgradable. it only has 13hp stock but with a little tuning and performance parts it is now pushing an easy 200hp. not good pickup at low end but it makes up for it on the top of the rpm. perfect for a first car

fun to drive, smooth shifting, cargo space with seats down, very good travel car, nice 17" alloys, gas mileage (29city, 36 hwy), good looking car too

absolutely horrible in the snow, a little too low to the ground, shifter is in a weird spot but got used to it after a while, noisy in cabin, lacks some low end power, leather option would be nice

Safe in a crash
By April

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've driven my Matrix for a few years now. I love the interior. It's very comfortable and the dash looks attractive. Recently I went on vacation with a friend of mine and she drove us in my car. There were some deer in the road which caused us to swerve and crash head on into a tree. This car saved our lives. It was totaled but we are alive and came out relatively well. A few broken bones and bruises later...But honestly for a smaller car it took the hit well. I would recommend it highly. I wish I still had it.

Dash, very comfortable seats, roomy interior.

Make it look a little less like a station wagon.