Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews - 325 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Hit the jackpot
By opinroad84

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

June '17. OK, I've owned it long enough for weather tec to stop making the custom floor mats for it. But, It is running as well as ever and it still is in great physical shape, so I guess I'll be updating this in another year. I did resurface and seal the headlights. If that lasts less than a year I will replace the headlight assembly.

Dec '16. Still running smooth and no issues. Only want to detail the MPG better. Summer 28 city/30-35 highway (loaded), 35-40 highway (one driver/and bag). Winter 25 city/32-40 highway. Admittedly I probably waste gas in winter by warming the car up and defrosting.

June 2016 update:
My Matrix is nearly 14 years old now and shows no signs of rust. In fact, the headlights have just started to fog over a bit. Admittedly, it is parked in a covered garage during weekdays, but the rest of the time it is in the elements in SE Pennsylvania. The factory CD player bit the dust after 14 years and I replaced it with a Bluetooth capable head unit. Still, if you look to buy a used Matrix, do not expect Nav, or bluetooth. There is no touchscreen unless it's an aftermarket unit. There is a lot of road noise at highway speeds too. But, it has yet to require any major repair. Still purrs like a kitten and the 5 spd manual has been bullet proof. I've thought about replacing it for something a bit more comfortable, but with this kind of reliability, fuel mileage and versatility, I simply can't justify the expense. At this rate, I'll be driving it for another 14 years.

I bought my Matrix, new, in Sept '02 and since then have only put 52K on it.
I have done all of the routine maintenance and have only ever had to replace the serpentine belt a few times and one brake light bulb.
This car has been more reliable than I ever could have hoped for.
Plus, it has great cargo capacity.
I can load it with dozens of bags of mulch, or a week's worth of camping gear.
Even my 29 inch mountain bike fits in the back with the seats down (with the front wheel still on!)
I will admit, on long drives the seating position can become annoying, but bring a small pillow or something and you can go for hours, plus, you won't need to stop for gas often!
Avg MPG, 30 in summer, 26 in winter.

Quite the Warrior
By jones3kn

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My mom and dad bought this car new and when I turned 16 in 2008, they turned it over to me. Before I had it, my brother drove it and got in a wreck with a large SUV and it survived with just a large dent in the front end. Since then, I have put this car through the wringer. I'm a rock climber, so I am constantly travelling and the storage capacity is amazing with the folding back seats. This is my go-to road trip car. It's now 11 years old and I just took it up through the Adirondaks, White Mountains and to Maine and back to Ohio. It has a little over 150K and it's still running strong. I'm actually planning a trip across the country to visit my brother in Portland, OR from Ohio.

The Sport kit is only superficial. I have just about ripped off all of it. All it really did was scrape all the time anyway.

Toyota matrix XRS
By codywindham

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am 16 years old and bought this as my first car. It has 241000 miles on it but it still runs like its new. It has great pickup and great handling and is really fun to drive. It gets decent gas mileage. The only thing I had to do was change the hoses but that is normal with cars with a lot of miles. I highly recommend this car.

Just a great value vehicle
By bzzd

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2003 Matrix used in 2005. It had just over 20K km on the clock. It now has 260K. It has really been trouble free motoring - replaced 2 wheel bearings otherwise only routine maintenance. It has maintained a very adequate fuel economy. We love this vehicle so much that we are buying a 2013 model with as close as possible the features of our present one. Everything still works fine.

Versatile sporty car 2003 XRS 2wd
By matthewinaz

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased used from a friend with 90k miles and now has 160k miles and not one problem with it.
There is so much room in this car.
When it was 150K miles I did preventative maintance on it myself(saves money). Front struts, radiator hoses, spark plugs, all fluids, serpintine belt and tentioner

My favorite future is the high roof line. Put it next to a camary or accord and the roof is higher. My XRS model is very fast with a red line of 9k with a strong power band. I don't ride it fast at all. Car is very reliable and never has broken down. If anyone is looking for an economical car that will last without problems this is it. I average 28mpg only because it's the sport engine. I did own a 2005 with the base motor and that got 33mpg with the A/C on or off. I can't say how much this car is perfect.

Seat isn't that comfortable. I have no gripes with this car.