Used 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (38 reviews )

Going Strong
By EZK

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV in 2000 new. I knew it was expensive compared to other SUV's but my 1996 Chevy Tahoe stranded my family and I for the third time in VT and I was willing to pay more for reliability. Almost ten years later and this is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. 105,000 miles and it runs and rides like new. Unlike my newer VW Passat and the Tahoe predecessor, the TLC does not leak any engine oil or any other fluids on my garage floor to this day. Only negatives are 16 mpg (no matter how you drive); very expensive parts when they fail; awkward third row seat arrangement; chews through tires at the front end (latest Michelins are holding up better than others). Best SUV!

Engine, drivetrain, VSC, interior room, reliability.

Improve third row seat arrangement. What's with the exhaust manifolds?

This car will never stop
By Sam

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We've owned this car for over 8 years, it has never let us down. 151k miles and my guess is it could go twice that and still drive like the day we brought it home. My wife's only complaint is she wishes the steering wheel was adjustable. Put the original equipment Michelin tires on it... they will go 60k+ miles.

The amount of room front, middle and rear.

Adjustable steering wheel.

Iconic Vehicle
By nilopol

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 2000 LC in 2003. Since then with regular maintenance I have had absolutely no problems. I put in a new muffler and exhaust manifold, but otherwise still going strong. I put in a navigation and backup camera, and it acts like a 2006-2007 ride.

All-wheel drive, overall comfort, and utmost confidence on the roads.

Fuel mileage.

The Best
By machelle

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I just ordered my third new Land Cruiser (2007 model). At 110,250 miles, my 2000 handled better, drove tighter and was a smoother ride than every test drive we took of other comparable 2007 SUVs. The Land Cruiser has only needed two repairs (a starter and CD electrical problem) all these miles. It has reliably gotten me out of sticky situations numerous times ranging from snow packs in the Rockies to an approaching hurricane on the Florida Coast. The third seats are not as comfortable, but are great for hauling my daughter's middle school basketball team. The seats all easily tuck away in several formations for hauling everything from small trees to luggage. We couldn't go anywhere else.

Ride, handling, safety, reliability, automatic 4WD, space, comfort, towing.

Seat warming buttons are on the center console and easily get hit accidentally in hot weather creating a surprising experience. Third row seating comfort is only fair for adults and they fold awkwardly.

Practical, Reliable Truck
By bob

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had this car for over 6 years now and it still looks and drives like new. We looked at other SUVs in 2000 but nothing compared to this one, and still nothing compares to this. The only problem we had with this is with the cd player and the brakes. Solid truck.

Build quality, reliability, size, styling.

Sound system, more room in third row/fold flat seats, gas mileage, more wood trim in the interior.