Used 2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great Ride, Good MPG,= Happy Owners
By frtlinr

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Took our new Highlander on a 10 day, 2400 mile trip starting with only 200 miles on the odometer when we left home. With so few miles on the vehicle, I wasn't expecting it to average 23 mpg on the trip, but it did. 1600 miles were on the highway, and the balance driven around town.
The ride was comfortable plus, the cabin is roomy, and very quiet. Decent sound system too.
The instrument panel is laid out very thoughtfully, everything is in easy reach for the driver causing no distractions.

Great seats. Very good air conditioning handles the heat in Florida very well, unlike any other vehicle that I have owned. As stated earlier, very pleased with the fuel mileage for the size and weight of the car.

I would rather have an audible back up sensor instead of the back up camera, but that's just a personal preference.

luv the mileage
By webtravelin

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are senior couple and have about 1200 miles on the highlander.
We are averaging just over 24 MPG, and on our three trips of about 90 miles each we got right at 30 mpg.
This was driving mostly on rural highways, with about 35 miles of interstate at about 72 to 73 MPH and about 62 MPH otherwise.
The wife thinks the seats are not as soft as our '04 Grand Cherokee, and the passenger seat is manual only, but that has already turned out to be a non-issue.
In addition to the very good mileage we immediately noticed how much more quite it was than the Jeep.
It is close to the same size as the Jeep but can seat 7.
We've had six adults in once for a short thirty minute drive and no complaints

Very good mileage, quite, more side to side front feet room, no bump in second row floor, the ability to lower the second row of seats from the rear, the separate controls for rear heat and air, the moon roof with a solid screen, the sliding second row seats, and the not to high, not to low step in height.

The cruise controls are taking some getting used to, and perhaps more padding in the seats. Also, if the vehicle was, say, 8 or 9 inches longer with that length added to behind the third row seats would be great, although that would undoubtedly increase the price.

Perfect!
By methodistbill

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I finally decided to give up on Honda.
The road noise in my last Honda was just too pronounced!
But my Highlander is one quiet ride!
The V6 provides outstanding acceleration too.
Though, it doesn't handle like a sports car and have great off-road manners, it does exactly what I want -- provide a stable, quiet ride.
It also provides great flexibility with seating and the seats are quickly and easily folded in order to haul more cargo.

Among my favorite features is the iPod interface and the hands free Blue Tooth phone system. The leather seats are also great. I take my dogs often, so the leather seats provide quick, easy clean up after them.

The seats could use more thigh support.

Satisfied
By maringa

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just received our new Toyota Highlander, Limited FWD last week.
It has been a pleasure to drive, and since I bought it for my wife, I haven't had much of a chance to drive it myself.
Extremely comfortable, quiet and easy on the road.
First tank is showing about 18.8 mpg in mixed driving.
Hoping that it goes up a little as we break it in.
When on a flat highway, for about 30 miles, it showed 23 mpg.
Car feels bigger than what it is.
Plenty of leg room in the back and front.
The test will be 6 month to 1 year into the purchase - will follow-up then.

Comfortable seats, quiet cabin and smooth on the road - makes a great trip car. Seems well put together. Navigation seems Ok...there are better units out there. Not an audiophile, but we love the stereo - great sound.

Hard plastic everywhere, but at least it looks nice. Like all of the new car systems, it takes a while to understand the navigation system. Not overly concerned about the mileage just yet, since our last vehicle (Yukon XL) averaged around 13-14 mpg in town. Hopefully as the car breaks in, we begin to see an average of around 19-20 in town. Definitely want to see at least 24-25 as ratings show. Will update in a few months.

Nice ride, but not perfect
By kate10167

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We went back and forth for months between the Honda Pilot and the Toyota Highlander.
We finally chose the Highlander because of the smooth car like ride and spacious middle row.
The visibility is quite good and I forget that I'm driving a fairly large car because it seems quite nimble.
With that said, there have been a couple of disappointments.
I had to take it in within the first 100 miles for an alignment issue and more recently (now at 350 miles) I've noticed that the driver's side door has a tinny, rattling noise when it's closed. I really dislike waiting for 3 plus hours at a dealership to repair things that should have been assembled correctly at a factory.

Smooth ride, spacious middle row

Initial quality could be improved. Wish there was more room between the tailgate and third row for groceries etc. Would prefer darker upholstery.