Used 2011 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

The Best SUV in the segment
By kaushiksripat

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hello, The Highlander is the best in the segment i would say. The ride quality is far better than other suvs in this segment. You got to drive this decent SUV ... I am sure there will be no one who would not love it.

Decent fuel economy, Robust feel while driving ( sturdy), very reliable, Smooth V6 and superb drive quality, best for family with small kids, Amazing family car

Technology package Blue tooth Tow package V6 engine

Slight exterior modifications to make it look more aggressive rear seats can not accommodate adults

Comfy family hauler absent of any sporting ambitions
By jan57

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife insisted on buying this car as a family vehicle.
The car is very comfortable, quiet and has good acceleration.
It's spacious, loads lots of stuff and has been reliable.
Fuel economy is good for the class, but nothing to bragg about (it is after all a hulking SUV).
We average about 22 miles/gallon. On the negative side, the car has prominet torque steer if you make use of only half the power, the steering is as numb as could be and the car floats more than it drives.
Excitement factor is zero. It's totally incapable in snow despite its appearance. Rear visibility is very poor and the backup camera a must. Blue tooth is very basic and doesn't switch between different phones.

Reliability (only problem is mild rattle from left driver's door window, otherwise there has been no problems); powerful and reasonably smooth engine; interior space; comfortable suspension; quiet operation. The car is sort of a comfy family hauler that provides reliable transportation and can occasional drive 6-7 folks around (without luggage, though).

Reduce torque steer; make interior/instruments more interesting and less "cheesy"; improve rear visibility (it's just a question of time that you hit somebody without the rearview camera); improve snow performance; improve poor fuel economy (what about a diesel engine?); lower price.

2011 Toy Highlander V6 4WD
By jonjon111

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle overall.
Excellent alternative to a van.
Previously owned vans for the past 10 years (Sienna & Odyssey).
It was time for a change.
We shopped around for the best mid size replacement as an alternative to a van at our price point.
Our biggest concern was loosing the versatility of a van, which will always be there.
We drove the Ford Edge, GMC Terrain, and Toyota Venza.
Of the three we ruled out the Edge & Terrain.
The Venza was the best of the three.
We then realized a must for us was a 3rd seat to accomodate additional passengers as needed. We realized we had to increase our price point & test drove the Highlander.
We immediately realized this to be a perfect fit.

Based on budget, we were unsure that the technology package was worth the price or need. Today, we are glad that we added this package. The two most favorite features we use quite often are the flip rear glass & the hands free phone. We did also add the towing package for future use & the cold weather package which includes the heated mirrors & lower windshield grid which will be an added benefit in the winter months ahead.

There are only two improvements that we can suggest at this time for future models. One is adding four single touch window switches for up & down (all windows) especially at this price point. This vehicle has this feature for the driver window only. I have found this feature to be standard on vehicles with a much lower price point such as a Camry. Second is shielding the back up camera lens (in the tech pkg) in an attempt to avoid water drops that obscure the camera.

I'm confused!
By markieg123

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Please tell me how you're all getting such great gas mileage and liking this car! I live in a fairly flat city and am getting 17 city/23 freeway. And, this car sure does rattle a lot for a brand new car and what's wrong with the front end suspension?
After two trips to the dealer, the rattles are still there and the car still shimmied (they "cannot duplicate" either complaint.) Finally had an independent tire shop balance all four tires and align 3 of the 4 tires, which helped but something still isn't right. The dealer said to file a complaint with headquarters if I want to be reimbursed my $130. I guess I should have comfort in knowing I leased rather than buy this. Only 3 more years....

Rides like a car, plenty of leg and head room. Nice dash layout, stereo sounds good, plenty of personal storage space up front, four cupholders(count them, 4 cupholders!) up front, and the AC pumps out the cold air which is a great relief when getting into my car after work on a 105 degree day.

The cruise control could get you into trouble if you're pushing your luck to begin with. When, say climbing a hill on the freeway, the cruise tries to maintain a speed but goes over the set speed quite a bit before coming back down to the set speed. Kind of worried me a few times coming back from Vegas the other day! This 4 cylinder is quite noisy. I wonder if people on the street can hear the engine as much as I can? Try plugging in your iPod into the aux port with one hand! You'll have to hold the flap open with one finger while pushing in the plug with your other available fingers. The back seat arm rests might not hold up if an adult leans on it to adjust their positioning.

Love our 2011 Toyota Highlander
By bossman8

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This suv drives like a BMW.
Have not found anything I would change.

I love the back camera, and navigation system. The electronic, Toyota Direct Ignition is awesome.