Used 2010 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Good, solid Auto-Just the right size
By Golfnut

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Since my 2002 Highlander with 183,500 miles needed some major repairs, I decided to trade it in on the 2010 model. My 2010 is just the base model with a 4 cylinder engine, front wheel drive. This engine is a bit larger than my other model, so the extra pep is nice, ride is good, interior is nice and comfortable. This physical size of the Highlander is just right, not to small, and not too large. The engine is a bit noisy at times, and I hope the 6 speed transmission last like my 2002 model. I change my own oil & filter religiously at 3500 miles, and the only thing I do not like about this new engine is the oil filter, it is a messy process.

Size, Pep of engine, easy to operate, overall a good product.

Oil filter replacement, quieter engine, shifting of transmission.

A Great Vehicle
By Stinraymo in AZ

2010 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is an all around great car. Performance is excellent both off the line and out on the highway when passing. It is very comfortable to drive (I am 6' 5"). Gas mileage is as advertised 17-23. I have never gotten as low as 17 and it averages 21-22 in a combination of city/highway driving. The S/E has about everything standard that you could want. The only option that I elected to get was the XM radio receiver. I would highly recommend this car to anyone. My only other Toyota was a 1970 Corona which was a drive to work car. Kept it 14 years and 140,000 miles and it never failed to start one time. Best car I ever owned. Hope this one is as good.

Performance,Driving Comfort, Fun to Drive

Keep improving the gas mileage

Satisfied Highlander Owner
By DRAC

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle as a second family hauler. We shopped the Chevy Transverse, Mazda CX-9, Ford Edge, and the Honda Pilot. The Mazda and Chevy had the looks but when fuel economy and reliability was factored in, we decided the Highlander fits our need. The ride comfort was also a deciding factor in this decision. We're averaging 19 to 20 city and 24 to 27 on the highway (75mph) with the Base V6 package. The higher numbers were achieve during moderate driving. (I don't baby anything I drive). Don't let the recent recalls scare you away from this vehicle, test drive one and you will see.

Class leading fuel economy. We had the vehicle for almost 4 months with no problems period.Engine performance is another plus. When the need arise,it flat out runs.

The horn sounds cheap for a $30,000 vehicle. That brings me to the second complaint, you don't receive much for $30,000 compared with the other makes I've mentioned. Multi Infomation Display should be standard as well as fog lights.

Fits the Bill!
By DRAC

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the vehicle as a secondary hauler for my wife. We have no kids at home but just in case grand kids arrive, this vehicle is just the ticket. We shopped the Chevy Transverse, Mazda CX-9, Ford Edge and decided on the Highlander for fuel economy and reliability. Don't let all the noise about the recalls fool you, test drive one and you will be pleased. We average 19 MPG mixed with 24 to 26 MPG highway driving at 75 mph. This is with the V6 Base package. My wife likes the idea of a large vehicle that's easy to maneuver. As with any vehicle, all is not perfect. Sometimes the steering feels too light and there is torque steer under hard acceleration.

Fuel economy for this class vehicle is great, even with the V6. The ride quality is just right, not too soft yet not stiff by any means. Very good engine performance.

The horn sound on this vehicle is cheap! Good for a Corolla, but not for a vehicle in this class. Wish Toyota would make the third row seat a deletable option again. I think the Multi Information Display unit should be standard equipment on a $30,000 vehicle. Could use a 6spd Tranny.

Best SUV On The Market
By Jeff

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Just purchased a 4 cylinder Highlander for "Invoice" and not only am I happy about that but the vehicle overall. Are you ready for this, I'm getting over 30 MPG combined city/hwy. Of course I'm not driving like a have a race car either. There is plenty of power when you need it. I own a Prius and have learned some techniques by utilizing the "Cruise Control" as often as I can. I compared the Highlander Hybrid model mileage to the 4 cylinder Highlander and for $20K less, I am getting better mileage. Invoice cost was $26,014.00 plus tax & license at 2.9% financing. People have got to be insane to pay upwards of $48K for a Highlander Hybrid (Limited).

The vehicle came equipped with many great features such as: Daytime Running Lights, Roof Rack, Tilt/Telescope Steering Wheel, Auto-Locks, Rear A/C, 3rd Row Seating, 6 Speed Transmission, Great Turning Radius, 3 A/C plug outlets, Lots of Cup Holders, Quiet & Comfortable and I can't wait to drive it.

Cloth Interior is exactly like the 2011 Camry and not the best quality. Some of the dash and door panels are made of cheap plastic.