Used 2009 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Cannot go wrong with Highlander!
By Savvy Buyer

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After having researched extensively and test-driven Honda Pilot, Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Edge, and the new Equinox, I repeatedly returned to Highlander and bought one a few weeks ago. I cannot express how impressed I am with Highlander! The ride is extraordinarily comfortable, quite and smooth. The interior is extremely roomy, well-designed and functional. The second row is exceptional. If you need the third row it is there and not as a joke! If you do not use it just fold it and you have plenty of cargo room! I must also compliment the instant V6 power and above average fuel economy, which is almost the same as 2007 Passat I traded in! It is also very family friendly if you have children

Quite, comfortable, easy to drive, smooth ride, safe, roomy, versatile second row, true third row, elegant interior and exterior, powerful, and friendly at the pump!

Outside temperature gauge, compass, floor and cargo area mats, in-mirror turn signals, bluetooth, improved sound system should be standard to justify the high price tag even for the base model!

4 cylinder worth consideration
By Anil

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I have had a pleasant experience owning 4 cylinder base Highlander 2009 model. The city mileage is 24 and highway 28 - could not have asked for better from mid-size SUV. I cruised at 70 while traveling from Boston to NY and never felt the vehicle does not have enough power. Dealers should inform the customers hybrid is not the only way to get decent fuel economy. Also, driving in snow was not bad either.

Strong exterior and pleasant interior looks; decent power; excellent fuel economy; good cargo space; quiet highway drive

steering wheel and keys look less expensive feel

Dissapointed
By Randy

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I left GM for Toyota with the expectation of a better vehicle. This hasn't been the case. My Highlander has made eight trips to the dealer to address problems. The problems: defective gas tank, of all things, which had to be replaced; incorrect fuel gauge reading (on its second sending unit and still not fixed); dis- colored dash panels; on its second XM receiver and all within 5,000 miles. The Dealer has been very helpful, but perplexed at times at the Highlander's oddities. Now, I wonder if the unintended acceleration bug will be next! I did not have as many problems with the Buick I traded in on this Highlander. What an unexpected disappointment this Highlander has been for what it cost.

Strong engine, smooth transmission and good gas mileage.

Outside temperature guage, radio controls need to be moved closer to the driver and more leg room in the front.

First Toyota - Hoping for Better
By Jamesicu

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first time owning a Toyota and is going to be my last. I have problems with the idle on the car and they have not repaired (I have video of this issue). I have a problem with mice entering the vents and entering the car because the vents do not close when you shut the car off (Poor Design). The tires are very poor in the snow and only last about 25,000 miles. I put on Michelin tires and what a difference. The car engine has plenty of power and is not to bad on using fuel for a V6. Overall, I will not purchase this car again or another Toyota.

Engine Power, Towing Capacity

Close vents when the car is off, Fix engine issue

after 1 year, just ok
By gene

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

mileage as expected. front pass seat needs same controls as driver. seat heat control very cumbersome. Auto climate control generally not comfortable when sunshine, better at night. headliner rattles (!!). Biggest concern that I don't believe the Dealer has dealt properly with is our engine has what sounds like dry piston "clatter" prior to it warming up (Summer and Winter). I have NEVER owned a vehicle with such a sound no matter how cold the engine, yet I have had the dealer check it twice but I am guessing they never took it off the lot. We have been Toyota owners for 24 years. This is the first one we have been dissapointed with.

Generally quiet and somewhat comfortable except for headliner rattle which the dealer can hopefully fix. Roominess.

Quieter engine(Engine clatters), Simpler controls(heated seat controls are poor design), Better finish quality (rattling headliner - very disappointing), Front seat passenger should get same controls as driver, stop with the weird visor mirrors, better climate control sensor -more even heating/cooling