Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Tire size for replacement HUGE problem
By Julie

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When considering this vehicle, don't overlook the cost of replacing the tires! The OEM tires do not hold up, even after proper rotation/balance care. At 33,000 I must replace the tires + there are only 3 tires that exist for this make/model! And two of those rated really low (poor handling, fast wear), which means the remaining choice is extremely hard to find + very expensive. Tires aside, my mileage is 17.5-22 (burbs vs. highway). ok, not great. Cabin noise is quiet, handle, fit + finish is a Toyota ... great! Next car purchase, I will always look at tire size + availability.

Look, handling, inside finish, sunroof, auto back door, huge glove box, bucket seats for 2nd row

Tire size, tire size, tire size + gas mileage (non hybrids). It is ridiculous to design a vehicle w/o considering tire size availability to the consumer.

safety should come first
By bob

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My two year old V6 awd sport model Highlander with 30k HIGHWAY miles and now I'm told I need new tires? I think a car costing over 38k plus would use a better and safer tire? Toyota states safety, well with these cheap TOYO tires they use I say they might want to revisit the tires they use on the Highlander. In March during our nasty rain storms here in MA. I hit a puddle and lost control on the highway did what i call a 160 even with AWD and traction on. I think the tires are failing and so soon. I love everything about this suv, and being my fourth SUV but my first Toyota. I'll be going back to my all american SUV where they use better and safer tires that get's more than 30K out of the

Love the roominess and lines of this car, great gas mileage as well. Everyone loves the second row captin chairs, they recline as well. Navagation system is great once you get to know how to use it correctly.

better get safer tires, and less road noise.

Tires Revisited
By Joe

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As noted in my January review, I replaced the snow-scary Toyo Open Country A20 tires with Yokohama 235- 55x19 Parada Spec X tires. Had to go marginally smaller than factory 245- 55x19s in order to avoid either Toyo or Bridgestone (equally bad in snow). These two are currently ONLY 245-55x19 sizes on the market. Yokos transformed winter traction from truly scary to truly amazing. Smooth, quiet, handle better too. Perhaps not as well balanced...I will have balance rechecked soon. Tread wear an unknown at this point, but I would have traded vehicle if snow traction had not improved. Can't believe Toyota still specs these tires in '10, but maybe other recalls have occupied all of their time!

Incredible Reliability Again
By cindy h

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Toyota, the first Highlander that I have owned. Toyota makes the most reliable vehicles. I've never had an issue mechanical or safety related with any Toyota I've owned..period. This 08 Highlander is not only comfortable but has great flexibility to handle the demands of a family of five with out being huge.

I can put lots of miles on it with no problems. It is a fantastic value for the money.

Find another manufacture for the tires, the 19" Bridgestone H/L 400 are without a doubt the worst tire out there.

Unreliable - Terrible service
By Not Happy

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One of the main reasons I purchased this Highlander was Toyota's reputation for reliability. After about 11 months, the battery went dead. I had to tow it to Brent Brown Toyota in Orem, Utah. They evaluated the electrical system and replaced the battery under warranty, but charged me for the tow. 3 weeks later, the battery was dead again. Back to Brent Brown Toyota (which at this point I'd like to say has the worst service department on the planet). The service adviser was lousy, the service manager is an obnoxious, rude liar. I've had the car back 4 times now and they still haven't figured it out. I can't believe Toyota allows such lousy people at their dealerships. I'm done with Toyota

If you can't drive because it won't start, nothing is favorite!

The district manager for Toyota needs to be involved with the dealerships to get rid of owners like Brent Brown.