Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Tires Revisited
By Joe

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As noted in my January review, I replaced the snow-scary Toyo Open Country A20 tires with Yokohama 235- 55x19 Parada Spec X tires. Had to go marginally smaller than factory 245- 55x19s in order to avoid either Toyo or Bridgestone (equally bad in snow). These two are currently ONLY 245-55x19 sizes on the market. Yokos transformed winter traction from truly scary to truly amazing. Smooth, quiet, handle better too. Perhaps not as well balanced...I will have balance rechecked soon. Tread wear an unknown at this point, but I would have traded vehicle if snow traction had not improved. Can't believe Toyota still specs these tires in '10, but maybe other recalls have occupied all of their time!

Incredible Reliability Again
By cindy h

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Toyota, the first Highlander that I have owned. Toyota makes the most reliable vehicles. I've never had an issue mechanical or safety related with any Toyota I've owned..period. This 08 Highlander is not only comfortable but has great flexibility to handle the demands of a family of five with out being huge.

I can put lots of miles on it with no problems. It is a fantastic value for the money.

Find another manufacture for the tires, the 19" Bridgestone H/L 400 are without a doubt the worst tire out there.

Unreliable - Terrible service
By Not Happy

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One of the main reasons I purchased this Highlander was Toyota's reputation for reliability. After about 11 months, the battery went dead. I had to tow it to Brent Brown Toyota in Orem, Utah. They evaluated the electrical system and replaced the battery under warranty, but charged me for the tow. 3 weeks later, the battery was dead again. Back to Brent Brown Toyota (which at this point I'd like to say has the worst service department on the planet). The service adviser was lousy, the service manager is an obnoxious, rude liar. I've had the car back 4 times now and they still haven't figured it out. I can't believe Toyota allows such lousy people at their dealerships. I'm done with Toyota

If you can't drive because it won't start, nothing is favorite!

The district manager for Toyota needs to be involved with the dealerships to get rid of owners like Brent Brown.

Good SUV, Bad Tires
By TopDawg

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the car itself. Have 22K miles on it so far. Toyo A20 245/55R19 tires are nearing the end. Dealers in town know these tires are fast wearing but only want to sell the same or the equally bad Bridgestone Dueler HL. Toyota still putting A20 on 2010 models. Local dealer said I can change size but it may throw off performance. I see posts of near accidents related to tires on this site. Otherwise car handles quite nicely with VSC option and has lots of room and zoom (V6).

Ride and performance. I had a 2002 I really liked too.

Easier to use Nav system. MUCH better tires.

Almost a good car
By Last Chance

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 1000 miles the engine developed a cold engine knock that Toyota would not fix. They said it was the new piston design, and not a problem. When I unplugged my GPS from the console power outlet the entire console top came off with the plug. Very cheaply made. I don't drive it very much anymore because I hate the cold engine knock, and I'm afraid of what else they might have compromised when they designed and produced this vehicle.

Excellent fuel economy.

Improve the engine and interior quality so that it is on a par with previous Toyotas.