Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Dissapointment in entire toyota nation
By AKsecurity7035

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very confident in Toyota Vehicles, starting from my 98 Camry all the way to my 05 Highlander and Toyota managed to completely destroy my confidence and dedication with my current 08 Highlander Sport. The car has a lot of defects; I don’t even know where to begin! Engine’s horse power doesn’t fit car’s handling and suspension, brakes are so soft that you have to power press brake pedal, dash board constantly makes cracking noises that can’t be fixed, JBL audio system has a lack of engineering all of speakers have been blown a couple of times without any explanation, Dealer is not able to find the problem. Wheel size of sport model only fits Toyo tires

Automatic/manual shift, climate control, rear view camera.

This whole vehicle needs to be redesigned, inside and out. Starting from Wheel size, suspension, and interior.

Highlander good on ugly roads
By sparky

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are happy with the highlander. 4 wheel drive is great in mud and snow/ice. We travel 30% on gravel roads. Lots of power and reasonably good fuel mileage 10 to 11 L/100 km hwy.

4x4 and powerful 3.5 L engine

honestly cant think of any! We did buy a cargo mat and deep floor mats though.

Great SUV
By fred

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

soccer mom car carrying 2 of our kids & up to 3 others, has performed well in town. family vacation Denver to Southern California demonstrated excellent snow performance on non- stock tires (Dayton) which came with our 2nd hand purchase, we were on I-70 in a heavy Spring snow storm which closed the highway - we took a side road & re-joined without any drama. average 18 mpg in town, 22 highway.

ipod connection, power outlets for all child & adult related electronics

not much for the $$ ($19k used, 45 k miles)

Tire size for replacement HUGE problem
By Julie

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When considering this vehicle, don't overlook the cost of replacing the tires! The OEM tires do not hold up, even after proper rotation/balance care. At 33,000 I must replace the tires + there are only 3 tires that exist for this make/model! And two of those rated really low (poor handling, fast wear), which means the remaining choice is extremely hard to find + very expensive. Tires aside, my mileage is 17.5-22 (burbs vs. highway). ok, not great. Cabin noise is quiet, handle, fit + finish is a Toyota ... great! Next car purchase, I will always look at tire size + availability.

Look, handling, inside finish, sunroof, auto back door, huge glove box, bucket seats for 2nd row

Tire size, tire size, tire size + gas mileage (non hybrids). It is ridiculous to design a vehicle w/o considering tire size availability to the consumer.

safety should come first
By bob

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My two year old V6 awd sport model Highlander with 30k HIGHWAY miles and now I'm told I need new tires? I think a car costing over 38k plus would use a better and safer tire? Toyota states safety, well with these cheap TOYO tires they use I say they might want to revisit the tires they use on the Highlander. In March during our nasty rain storms here in MA. I hit a puddle and lost control on the highway did what i call a 160 even with AWD and traction on. I think the tires are failing and so soon. I love everything about this suv, and being my fourth SUV but my first Toyota. I'll be going back to my all american SUV where they use better and safer tires that get's more than 30K out of the

Love the roominess and lines of this car, great gas mileage as well. Everyone loves the second row captin chairs, they recline as well. Navagation system is great once you get to know how to use it correctly.

better get safer tires, and less road noise.