Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 241 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Tires, Brakes, Oxygen Sensor Issues
By 4redwings

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tires were shot at 30,000 miles. Odd size makes replacement expensive.
Rear brake pads shot at 30,000 miles (grinding heard on LR rotor). Lots of life left on the front pads, so what's up with that? Biggest disappointment was at 30,000 miles and 3.5 years both oxygen sensors on right exhaust went out at the same time. Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 1 Sensor 2 to be exact.
$700 repair.
I like the car but the reliability is coming into question for us.

nice car, but dash sqeaks and rattles drive me nuts!
By ctgardengirl

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Toyota, bought used Nov 2010, bought base model because of tire issues on sport and ltd, and cost.
Went from 1997 Plymouth Voyager van to this - what a difference in driving. It scared me for awhile, getting used to the electronic/computer driving process, seemed out of control to me until I got used to it, now it's fine.
What drives me crazy is the dash rattles, which is way worse in winter.
My old van didn't rattle like this!
It makes me want to sell it, and buy another, but afraid of same problem.
Radio is ok, bass is terrible. Roomy inside.
Seats ok, but not that comfortable on day long drives. Back seat rattles now.
What next?

Roomy leg and foot room in driver and passenger sides, and rear seat. (what sold me on this SUV over others) Better quality interior than Honda, Ford, others... Decent gas mileage in it's class for the money. Toyota quality and reputation. (which I'm now questioning...) Good size seats - Honda's are too narrow, and so are others in this class, or too low to the floor. Height of truck is just right for me for loading groceries, and has enough room for lots of luggage for 2 on long trips. Fold down second row seats offer extra space for more luggage, Christmas shopping, or awkward or long items.

Dash rattles are Numerous! They seem to go away during the summer months, and come back in October. (Hint: run your dash heater on high for 10 minutes or so - this helps to warm up the dash to reduce the rattles most of the time) Back seat has started to rattle now. Radio is adequate, but the bass is terrible! Muffled and annoying, we turn it down as far as possible. Air seems to leak out the dash vents when running heater on floor only. Hits me right in the eyes and dries out my contacts. I have to drive with the visor down on long trips in the winter . Can be hard to see when backing up. My van had more visibility. And please make passenger seat with power seat controls standard!

Is OK ..Just Ok
By pointswest

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was a replacement to years of minivans..
I was surprised that reliability has not been as good as I expected from what I was told of Toyota ( good marketing I guess),and some repair items under warranty required discussion elevated to dealer manager before issue was resolved. To the question , Will I buy another Toyota ? probably not

seats are comfortable

reliability ,

great until hidden costs get you...
By 4inthecar

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

many have noted the tire issue - i had to order mine online and have them delivered to my home - $952.
then i had to take them to a tire shop and pay to have them mounted.

NEW shocker - at 63k miles and 3 years of age, my water pump died.
the dealer says 3 days labor - 24 hours @ $90 hr + the part, $2400 more or less.
supposedly they have to drop the engine and the transmission to get to the water pump on the side of the engine.

NOT acceptable TOYOTA!
what a worthless design.
had i seen this coming i would not have bought the car and would have stuck with honda.

my honda element has 240k - and only rountine service.
the locks are wearing out - but not the engine...

i have the sport with a optional leather interior. LOVE the leather - the black can get hot, but kid clean up is almost a breeze and best of all - no stains. i really like the backup camera also. i never use the controls in the steering wheel - dont know why, just old school i guess. i like the center store and go console - seating or cupholders/tray option. with the 3rd row up, there is plenty of sports gear room.

the 3rd row is not the easiest to get to. the bluetooth is worthless - you cant adjust the volume so the car is "yelling" at you and voice recognition is PATHETIC. my all weather driver floor mat wore through in 2 years. TOYOTA needs to think about the service costs impact on their buyers. i am looking for another car and i dont think TOYOTA will be on it.

Great Value - except Tires
By B Whitcomb

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2008, now have 50,000 without any mechanical problems. Could not have better reliability. Performance is outstanding even towing a boat (16 MPG) I have never gotten less than 19 MPG in town and up to 26 MPG on the highway at speeds of 70+ MPH. Original tires very poor replaced at 33,000 with Briggestone, so far so good. OEM tires were worthless day "1" with hydroplaning the rule not the exception. The interior is comfortable and well laid out. My only problem with the vehicle is my own doing. I tow a 4000 LB boat. It tows with great stability at 16 MPG. The problem is getting up the wet boat ramp with FWD. If you tow opt for the AWD

Love the "Snow" Button, manual shift backup camera - easy to hook to trailer, auto AC

Two more inches of driver seat travel for us tall guys.