Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Perfect for us!
By Bill

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As we are only a family of three, unless you count the dogs we tried to fit into a new RAV4. At 6'3"+ it just wasn't happening so we decided to step up a level and are we ever glad we did. As soon as I stepped in and sat down I knew it was just a matter of convincing my wife. That didn't take long either because I let her drive it first. In the short period of time we have had it we have shuttled up to 7 people around, surprisingly comfortably and they have all commented about both the ride and the quiet. I suffer from back problems and the driver's seat seems to sense that, allowing multiple adjustments and the relaxation of variable heat. What a wonderful addition to the family! Try it!

Interior space, smooth and quiet ride, mix of power and decent mileage (20-25 mpg so far), ability to easily change seating configuration. I really do like the auto shifter as it allow you the feeling of more control. The seats are very comfortable and everything seems to work just the way it should.

Memory seat (I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'5"). Auto power off if interior lighting or accessories are left on. Even with the Limited a lot of things are extras which equates to a lot more money.

Great All-Purpose SUV
By Frank

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Highlander only a week but can tell already I'm going to love it. Interior appointments and ergonomics are superb. Transmission is smooth however the downshifting at around 40MPH is a little noticeable. Braking fine. This car is quiet, by far the quietest SUV I tested. Ride is outstanding. Note this is not a sports car however. Seats are very comfortable. This is going to be fabulous family trip car. Can't wait for our first big trip. I wanted this car be be everything and it is: the comfy ride of a sedan, cargo space of a van, and style. Toyota has done it again. On my first gas up I got 22.5 MPG in mixed driving. Not bad. Great car - what I have always wanted!

Quiet, very subdued road noise, simple logical instrument display; comfortable seats; ergonomics;

Transmission hesitates slightly at 40-45 MPH; tighten up suspension. car leans when cornering; side mirrors stick out too far; front pillars block view slightly. Nothing serious though. The car is great.

Initial Review
By Zaab

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought a Limited with JBL, auto rear air, power back door, tow, spoiler, heated seats. Traded in a Honda Minivan as the kids are a bit older. This is a very comfortable ride with respectable power for what it is. The ride is a little soft but expected for what we were considering which is a vehicle to drive around town on surface roads doing errands. Very nice interior with many features that are in higher end vehicles. Front seats are very roomy and there is a ton of room in the 2nd row both in the large seats and large amount of legroom. Third seat is similar to other vehicles in this class. Cargo room with the third seat up is small as a large grocery trip will tax the space.

High end features of the car. Walk through capability to 3rd row (and stow away seat) Very roomy 2nd row. Well laid out dash and audio/air controls. You do not have to search around the controls and they are very intuitive

As said above, no split third row seat and no power in center console. Front passenger seat should have more controls for this trim.

Drives like a dream
By B & R

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Highlander on Memorial Day weekend. Our previous car was a Chevy Tahoe which sat in our driveway most of the time being such a gas guzzler. We tried the Honda Pilot 2008 (we have a 2000 civic) & found it didn't compare with the Highlander. We needed the towing capacity plus smooth traveling ride & storage. We have the lighted running boards which are wonderful. I have short legs & love the lighting at nite to get into the car. The console in front & the lighted panel have all the bells & whistles you need when on the road. WE JUST LOVE THE CAR!

The roominess of the interior. Lots of leg room for tall people. Lighted control panel. Seats are very comfortable. Front seat console a dream. Gas mileage is a real plus.

There is a blind spot by the left rear view mirror which is really a problem for me since I am only 5'3". When turning left I seem to come to close to the medians. There needs to be a hook or something provided for trash bag in the front seat.

Traded X3 for Highlander
By DJ

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded a 2005 BMW X3 for 2008 Highlander sport. BMW just don't offer value for the money anymore on the new X3. Family really likes the Toyota. Softer drive but much more comfortable on Quebec bumpy road. Braking is good and strong with some front dive. Plenty of room for family of 4 with dog. Kids love the captain seat in 2nd row.

Engine acceleration, roomy, 19 inch wheels, back-up camera, interior appearance, leather quality, 2nd row reclining capt's seats, rear lift glass, great visibility, looks like an SUV/truck (not like Mazda CX), easy access in/out, information screen,

Real drivers foot rest, lift gate is heavy to close, arm rest for drivers left arm is to far from steering wheel and not the same hight as the right arm rest, interior plastic looks fragile to scratches, fuel economy just ok, depth of cargo area when cargo cover deployed, seat side support,