Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 241 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great vehicle.
By Patrick

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my '02 Ford Windstar for a 2008 4WD Base Highlander. I have driven the Highlander about 1,000 miles so far. The Highlander is much nicer to drive, has more power, and gets better MPG (around 21 MPG in mixed city/urban interstate driving). The only downside is less space behind the 3rd row seats. I would have bought the hybrid, but the extra $10-12,000 is insane.

Comfortable ride and space for 7 people.

Owning Toyotas since 1991
By Frank

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As always Toyota has come through. Exceptional build quality inside and out. Much improved over the well received Highlands of years gone by. I bought the Limited AWD with all the bells and whistles and couldn't be happier. If you're in the market for a good looking vehicle inside and out with exception reliability then you should look no further than this vehicle.

Touch screen easy to use nav system, rear HVAC system, power rear hatch, key fob, 3rd row seat, cargo room, 5000 lb towing capacity, easy to fold rear seats from one simple location in the rear cabin, all weather mat for rear cargo area to protect carpeting.

Memory seats

Very good vehicle
By gunma

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Has everything I need in a car in these times: good power, fuel economy for its size, and reliability (fingers crossed). It's no Infiniti in looks but neither is it a hulking Pilot. Never thought I would get a Highlander, but one look in person changed my mind.

Cargo size, decent power, decent MPG, Toyota's dependability

Would've been magical if they could've squeezed 300 HP and 20-27 MPG out of the V-6. Also, tightening up the handling would've been nice.

Holding my breath
By Holding my breathe

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had an immediate problem with strong vibration on cold start. It happened a week after we bought the car. Took it in a month later to service dept. and they were really nice but say nothing is wrong. I've been thru this kind of song and dance with another manufacturer before so I know that the consumer has to stay on top of it. Another concern is lag on acceleration - shifting from 1 to 2 gear. It's like the car has to think about what it wants to do so it pauses. Steering radius (turning into parking spaces) is not great, while driving on highway steering squishy.

Sport has just enough niceties for me without overcharge, auto close tailgate, 6 disc cd, auto light system, 3rd row seat, glove box is the best rm i have ever had in any vehicle. Roomy. Gas mileage tracking even tho gas mileage not up to par as they said on sticker.

Vibration, lag on acceleration, steering radius not wide enough, tighter steering on highway, more trunk space with 3rd seat up, split the seat, eliminate the compartment between driver and passenger for us women who don't want their bags flying into the back seat! More cushion in seats.

Happy Highlander Owner
By Mike

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in a 2006 Lexus GS 300 for the 2008 Highlander Sport in January of 2008. The Highlander rides like a high end luxury sedan but offers much more room in the interior and a very comfortable ride. I like the new exterior design that just came out. We never gave the Highlander a second look until the new 2008 style. The Highlander is my first Toyota purchase and I will likely buy another again.

The Highlander provides you with a smooth ride much like a sedan, very roomy! Lots of storage in rear for large items.

Rear hatch back door very heavy and hard to close. The rear door should also have access with a key. I would like to have a little more leg room for the driver, however, lots of leg room for adults in the rear.