Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Blonde Bomber
By JSparger

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

overpriced disappointment
By AK

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Luxurious? nope
Practical? nope
Economical? nope
Quality built? nope

Ride very edgy, body roll is high, motor is dull, high maintenance costs.

Love my 2008 Highlander
By Kris Modisette

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased when it had 32,000 miles on it. Now it has 153,000 miles. I've only replaced tires at $900 twice, changed the oil regularly, and so far I've never had to put it in the shop for repairs. We change the battery and brake pads, just maintenance. It's going to get a tune up tomorrow, and I hope it improves the gas mileage. For now city 19, and highway 21 to 23. Also, pulling the boat it gets 16 mpg, but it pulls very well. I hope it keeps up with reliability because I have yet to find anything else I like as well as my Highlander.

Favorite feature how the car handles on ice and sand. When I push the snow button it feels like it drops slightly and grips the road very well. Roomy enough on the inside to seat my family, or lay the seats down to haul anything I can fit in it.

I gave it 4 stars in comfort because my husband says it's not very comfortable for him. (Could be he's not driving! lol)

Not as reliable as Toyota's should be
By toyofan8

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is nice and comfortable.
A long time Toyota owner I was completely surprised by the constant issues. Rear window wiper motor, sunroof, NAV system had to be replaced. The lugs nuts are two piece shells and loose it's cap each time you remove a lug nut. I forced the dealer to replace them at his cost every time he rotated the wheels. The tires cost about $1400 (poor choice and expensive) and regardless of the warranty they last only a mere 19K. The tire size is limited to two manufactures and thus the high price. Got stuck in snow and had to reverse the SUV to get out. Embarrassing to say the least for an SUV. Lastly, the traction control truly does not work, it slides everywhere.

Automatic hatch, under carriage lights, keyless entry, hitch, and spacious interior.

Hopefully the NAV system has been improved due to the lack of POI and functionality. It does not justify the 2K extra in the GPS features as I can buy at the time a GPS for only $200 and will have loads of other features that are essential while traveling. Never again purchase an auto with GPS! They need to choose good gripping and long lasting tires for this or any of their vehicles that are made by many manufacturers to keep the costs down. Must have been some sort of business deal with Toyo and Bridgestone to get the suckers who like to spend their money. Not a sucker any more.

Comfortable and Safe
By eurodrive25

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I learned how to drive in this car. It's very comfortable for daily driving and on long trips as long as you're not sitting in the 3rd row. It drives great and does well enough on gas. It's a very safe car also. I owe my mothers life to the safety features in this car. Not many people can walk away from hitting a grove of trees at highway speeds. Great SUV for a family!

Tons of standard safety features, plenty of space in the first two rows, good acceleration, and relatively good on gas.

3rd roe of seats is very cramped but how many times do you use the 6th and 7th seat anyway.