Used 2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Hesitation
By Linda

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Toyota, 2nd HL. 1st HL was a 2002 4cyl. Loved it so much that we decided to upgrade to a 2006 6 cyl Limited model. Boy what a mistake. It has no more power than the 4 cyl & the way it drives & shifts is such a disappointment. When I slow down it jerks like I missed a gear and then when you go to accelerate, there is such a hesitation that you don't know if it is going to go or just die. It really scares me when I'm in traffic. I've told the service dept about this for two years. 1st they said nothing was wrong, then they said it was a flaw in the chip & they had a new update that would fix that. That didn't work. Now they say it is normal & that that's the way it brain works.

I love the size, lots of leg room for small SUV, great gas mileage, leather seats are comfortable and I think its overall appearance is great.

Please do something about the driving hesitation and I think it would be the perfect vehicle.

So So SUV
By bobby04

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle in 2006 for my wife. After about 2 months we realized that this vehicle is not for us. It has the V6 but is very underpowered. It will hardly get out of it's own way. The seating is very uncomfortable. The most disappointing feature for us is the traction control feature. This cannot be turned off. While in light sand at the beach, the traction control locked up all wheels with the brakes as the wheels wanted to spin. This also happened in an icy condition last winter. Very disappointing. The quality of the vehicle is typical Toyota. It will probably outlast us all. If you are considering a Highlander, think about how you will use it and what your expectations are.

Toyota quality. No others.

More power. Traction control select switch. Softer and wider seats that don't make you feel like your sliding out all the time.

Wonderful Car
By ToyLuv

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It has been more than 2 years since we purchased this SUV and still totally happy with it. No problems to report to date and still runs just like it did when new. More refined and quieter than our previous Acura MDX. Not to mention a lot better on gas. It gets 22 mpg in mixed driving the Acura only got 16 mpg. Only thing I want more is the Lexus RX's styling, maybe in a few years I will trade it in, but for now still happily motoring even after 34k miles.

Refined ride, quiet and smooth, very detailed interior, great quality, Toyota reliability, decent gas mileage for this type of vehicle.

Exterior styling too subtle.

Great SUV
By Proud owner

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the car for almost two years, haven't had anything go wrong (knock on wood!). My first Toyota, I tried the RAV and a Buick Rendevous. The RAV seemed a tad too small, the Buick my husband didn't like. The size is perfect for us--just two but two dogs, one large, one medium, can both fit in the back seat, have plenty of cargo space left in back. Haven't used the third seat but wanted in case of emergency. Would agree good only for children. Rides smooth, easy to drive as a car, but the better and higher visibility of an SUV. Overall very satisfied and figure this to be a 10 yr vehicle.

Heated seats-first vehicle with them and won't go without again. Great first and second row leg room. Good visibility out of the rear, easy to manuever in and out of parking lots, versatile hauling capabilities with the ability to lay down both 2nd and 3rd of seats. Large glove box and console.

Third row seat could be larger and easier to access (done on 08). Seats could be a little longer. Air vents to the back seats (dog gets warm!).

2 years and running strong
By Laura E.

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I first wrote about my highlander from my first day of use. Now it is 2 years later and I love it even more! It handles icy and snowy conditions in Alaska like a dream. I can easily fit 15 bales of hay in it to haul for my horse. I can flip the seats and clean it out quickly, and my dog LOVES the back section with its own heater. I have just replaced the factory tires which wore out at about 48,000 miles. The air control box did break due to the severe cold we have experienced this winter (-30 degrees). But it was an easy fix by the dealer crew. Fuel economy remains strong as I am a careful driver. Road noise and a slipping mat in the third row are my only negatives.

Style, comfort, ease of manuevering seats for cargo, fun to drive! BLASTS through snow.

Second/third row AC vents, wider armrests, controls on steering wheel, better traction on back section pad for when a dog rides (slides it back toward door).